MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I own an 86 AW11 A NA and I wanted to swap the engine for a more powerful 2L turbo. I thought about 3SGTE swapping it like a lot of people do but I'm having trouble finding any and even less with a manual transmission. Budget is tight so for me it was a pretty good option but it's getting rarer and rarer. Any suggestions would help a lot. Feel free to drop any information about swapping AW11s or about the engine that could be swapped in if it isn't too much to ask for.
Thank you :)
Edit : Thank you so much! Also I was aiming for a nice and healthy 225hp+. Nothing too crazy I don't want to drive a death machine hahaha

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,230 Posts
How about a 1MZFE or 2GRFE? Do you have a horsepower number in mind? How are you with fabrication? A turbocharged swap will require a decent amount of work mounting an intercooler and routing the piping. A gen4 or gen5 engine may work out to be less work with the top mount intercooler but it isn't ideal. A S54 transmission from a N/A sw20 will work just fine on any stock 3SGTE if you can't find a E153.

·
Registered
452 Posts
#debbiedownertime
The first thing to do for any engine swap is to stop and put a plan together. Figure out what your goal is with the car, how much power you want, and how many supporting mods you'll do to match that amount of power.

You'll need to be real with yourself about your budget and your skill with fabrication, electrical, and creativity with solving problems. Expect to budget $3k minimum for any engine swap if you are able to do all of the work yourself, 5 to 10 or more for a more involved build or if you need to farm out the work. Expect to have the car off the road for 1 or 2 years to get everything sorted before the first drive, and expect to redo a lot of work as things break or your skill improves and you learn how to do things better.

That being said, engine swaps are a great learning experience on what it really takes to modify a car. I've done a couple of swaps on other Toyotas and found them super challenging but very rewarding. If you are ready to commit the time and money to do things your way, you will have a car that you enjoy that much more.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Personally I'm doing a 1MZ swap. They fit plenty of transmissions and flywheels are relatively easy to come by. Also not really any heavier than an iron block 4age. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, you can use an S54 with stock SW20 axles and it will fit correctly in the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did a 20v swap, which is one of the easiest to do, and it still went way over budget, despite me circumventing a lot of the common "have to pay someone else to do it" tasks.

Not to talk down swapping, but you definitely need to know what you want to do, and be sure you find good resources to help you through.

There are prefab kits out there for the 3sgte and the k2x swaps, but the kits run a lot and you have to still source an engine in good condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about a 1MZFE or 2GRFE? Do you have a horsepower number in mind? How are you with fabrication? A turbocharged swap will require a decent amount of work mounting an intercooler and routing the piping. A gen4 or gen5 engine may work out to be less work with the top mount intercooler but it isn't ideal. A S54 transmission from a N/A sw20 will work just fine on any stock 3SGTE if you can't find a E153.
Thanks man that really helps! I was aiming towards a 225hp+ nothing too crazy but budget os pretty tight since I'm a teen but I'm working on saving up for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
#debbiedownertime
The first thing to do for any engine swap is to stop and put a plan together. Figure out what your goal is with the car, how much power you want, and how many supporting mods you'll do to match that amount of power.

You'll need to be real with yourself about your budget and your skill with fabrication, electrical, and creativity with solving problems. Expect to budget $3k minimum for any engine swap if you are able to do all of the work yourself, 5 to 10 or more for a more involved build or if you need to farm out the work. Expect to have the car off the road for 1 or 2 years to get everything sorted before the first drive, and expect to redo a lot of work as things break or your skill improves and you learn how to do things better.

That being said, engine swaps are a great learning experience on what it really takes to modify a car. I've done a couple of swaps on other Toyotas and found them super challenging but very rewarding. If you are ready to commit the time and money to do things your way, you will have a car that you enjoy that much more.
thanks man! I was looking for a 225+hp nothing too crazy but budget is a little tight and I don't personally think I'd be able to do the swap myself because of my lack of advance mechanic knowledge. The car is my only car so putting it out of buisness for a year isn't really the best option so I think I'm gonna have to shell out a bit more for labour costs. I really appreciate your help though!

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,230 Posts
Tight budget and your only car is a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't modify a thing on your car until you have a second car, there is no way to plan out an engine swap to go perfectly there will always be problems and downtime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you fit a 2GRFE in a na 1988 mr2?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this thread is old. But I decide to do a Kswap in my 85 MR2 with a K24A2 from a 2006 TSX and a 5 speed manual from a 2005 RSX. It is going relatively well, but it is not cheap. I am about 10k Canadian into it and more to come. Most of the major parts are purchased. I have a parts list if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this thread is old. But I decide to do a Kswap in my 85 MR2 with a K24A2 from a 2006 TSX and a 5 speed manual from a 2005 RSX. It is going relatively well, but it is not cheap. I am about 10k Canadian into it and more to come. Most of the major parts are purchased. I have a parts list if anyone is interested.
I'd love to get a parts list from you. I really want to do a k swap in my 85 aw11 but i don't know everything i need. just knowing that will be a tremendous start! tyia!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts