MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

Well almost.
This is the radiator I will be using with the V8MR2. The radiator on the left is a 1987 radiator that was pulled from the V8 MR2. And the big guy on the right is the Tru-Kool $165.00 2-core aluminum radiator from Speedway Motors. It is a chevy style radiator that measure 28" wide and 19" tall.

Its is about 1/3 taller.

And about twice as thick

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
burrrrrrrrly.. Looks great bill - Whats the status on that engine you found a month back or so. Did you end up getting it?

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am waiting to get some new rings. Those ended up being a bit pricey. So I'll get those next payday. There is not very much to the Northstar. It is a very simple engine. Takes about an hour to tear it down with my configuration and air tools. Build up will be about a day.
Everything is prepped. I have the valve guides on the way from Rock Auto.
So I am working on the other bits.

Bolt-in? ya, pretty much. But did require a bit of trim removal.

·
Registered
422 Posts
1/3 taller. Hmmm, so is that 1/3 going to go below or above where the original one was. I would have to assume below unless there is going to be some major angling going on with it, to keep it from coming through the top of the frunk lid. And if it is going lower, it would almost be on the ground, wouldn't it? Very anxious to see this.

Joe

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
You gonna weld up the filler or do you not think it's required? I just talked to a guy at Howe Radiators that said he can make me 1 to my exact specs for $300. I'll most likely be going that way pretty soon.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Just make sure all your hoses the same size and ditch the pipes in the tunnel for ones of the same diameter.

You don't want your fluids backing up on you again.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not using conventional coolant. I wont be using H2O. So the cap stays as all I need is a 2 pound cap.

I am using 1.5" ID tubing from the rear to the front on both up and down legs.
I have spoken with some cooling system designers and they have agreed that my system will work. Well, they did suggest a radiator that would have cost me close to $1000. Not having that kind of cash at the moment I am using a $165 version. The Fiero guys are running the same capacity and are not having cooling system issues.

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
wait what - i know i'm outta the loop ... but did u say a V8 MR2 MKI ?!??!?! are you CRAZY!?

btw: nice radiator tho. shame it has to be so big for the new big engine.

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
sweet holy jesus!!!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
corky is a little slow.... J/K

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
Have you heard about the swap where you put the Oldsmobile engine in a 70's Volkswagen sports car???

That would be a Karmen Electra.

Oh man, I crack me up!

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Electra was a Buick.

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
That's why Jeff Foxworthy never returns my calls???

Maybe I can recover with some esoteric drivel about GM putting Olds engines in Buicks in the 80's. Yeah, that's it. Never hear of the 403 cid Trans Am mister?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts