MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a Mk2 Rev 4 SW20, and have some questions about the alarm system that I hope someone can help answer.

If I use the remote fob to lock (and arm the alarm) then unlock (and disarm) the car, but do nothing else, then after 30 secs the car auto-locks and the alarm is armed. However if after unlocking the car I open a door, then the car doesn’t auto-lock.

I think it’s always worked like this. But is it normal behavior? Does it indicate that I’ve got a particular alarm system?

I know with the Mk3 you can reprogram the alarm functionality to enable or disable auto-lock. Is there a similar option for my Mk2 alarm system?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most OEM and aftermarket alarms will re-arm if you unlock and then don't open a door. Assuming you wire in the dome light for the aftermarket one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am UK-based, and it turns out that I have a TVSS IIIB OEM security/alarm system which is behaving exactly as intended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a retrofitted unit, AFAIK. TVSS stands for Toyota Vehicle Security System. I didn't mean to mislead anyone by saying it was an OEM unit, I meant OEM in its truest sense of Orginal Equipment Manufacturer, the supplier of the alarm system to Toyota.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ah yes I know what you mean. My knowledge base is predominantly JDM and USDM cars but as yours is a UK model I wasn't sure if they were fitted with a security system from factory.
JDM cars never had a security system fitted to any of the SW20 models. They had remote locking but not an alarm or immobiliser. I know USA and now UK had it fitted. Something new to add to my knowledge base. Thank you.

I did find a photo of a REV5 tachometer with the security light and word on it that I have not seen before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts