MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone first and foremost I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Craig I am from Portland Oregon, I know nothing about Texas. Anyways the MR2 Community up here is amazing! I am part of the workshop group if any of you have heard of it, just basically a bunch of crazy guys who get together and build MR2's. I love it up here in all, I mean drag racing, road course, and autocross is what i do with my 93'T. So my question is what are the drag strips and tracks like down there? Is there a good autocross club? The reason I ask is my parents are relocating to Austin after 50 years up here in Portland. Also what are the suburbs like around Austin? Is there certain areas I should look into? We are looking for a suburb that is upper-middle class area, newer homes around 3000sq ft or so seems like you can get one of these houses for about 230k and up here it would be 300k+ So the housing looks great down there. What are the taxes like? BASICALLY TELL ME EVERYTHING ABOUT AUSTIN!!!!!!

As a side note I will still be living up here going to school, but the summers will be spent in Texas, until I graduate 2 years left at Oregon State. Looking into the law school at University of Texas.

Thanks-
Craig

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Austin is a rapidly growing and changing city. It was once a lifestyle city which took its identity from the large college and state capitol as well as its noted music industry. It has grown and grown due to an excellent reputation for quality of life and ability to attract corporations and this has caused it to lose much of its identity. It becomes more and more like Houston or Dallas each day, I would still prefer to live there than Dallas and would never want to live in Houston, but there are many who disagree (look how many people live in Houston). In Texas property taxes are high, sales taxes are relatively high, there is no state income tax and the state govt is unable t fund our public schools. They are currently operating on an funding program which was declared illegal but have appealed the decision since they have been unable to fix the problem, despite having time to redistrict the state, flee to Oklahoma and LA, and vote themselves raises. Traffic is a fairly serious issue in parts of Austin, as well as Dallas and a big issue in Houston. Most Texas cities are pretty backward when it comes to mass transit.
The people are nice. The restaurants are great. Loads of great parks. Still tons of great music. It will be much hotter and drier then where you are now.
Is that a good start? If that is not enough, now others will chime in to disagree and you can get some other opinions perhaps.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
you forgot nightlife... Austin nightlife is great!! If you like going out, bar hopping, clubs, etc... It's the place to be. The girls are cute, and easy going. The cops are strict. If you're in the Austin area and decide to wonder off into Round Rock and Williamson County, make sure you're not doing ANYTHING even slightly illegal!!

It's a great place to live. I was raised in Austin, have traveled quite a bit nationally and internationally. Moved to SoCal for about 3 years. And now I'm back in Austin, I love it here.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you need a realtor recommendation, I've got one for you.
http://www.jeffgifford.com

He's been in business for quite a long time and knows a lot of good people. I used him when I bought my house. He's very passionate about what he does and very responsible and organized, as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts