MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Love this thread but see that it hasn't gone anywhere in awhile. Any progress on the frame/chassis design for the project? I'd rather do one of these than the La Bala I think. Mmmm, V8 power...

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
the chassis design is pretty much done. still waiting on the rear suspension design.
I have been busy pissing my wife off and it is college football season, so I have been swamped with work that pays. once Xmas starts up I'll start welding the front metal together. January I buy the roll structure material.
I have shocks, I have picked out all of the brake system (MK2 MR2 rev2) and have to sort out how I am going to modify the MK2 hubs to work with Steve's design. I would not trust MK1 hubs in a project like this.
I am debating using a full containment open wheel style seat. I won't be building a hardtop as I want this car as light as I can afford to make it.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I saw there was a question earlier about Northstar fitting vs. the Audi ABZ. As I have all of the engines in my posession, here is how they compare:

Please note that the Northstar will require an adaptor plate (and if its aluminum it may need to be 0.5 to 1.0 inches thick, which adds to its critical length. Custom clutch and flywheel needed, or flywheel spacer.

I am pretty sure the ABZ bolts right up to the 01x Audi transaxles, and you only need a flywheel from 034motorsports. Standard off-the shelf clutches made for smaller Audi engines will work if able to handle the torque of the ABZ. See Hilly's (Andy Hills) Audi ABZ in his 83 Esprit build thread for more info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Toyota totally should have gone to you to design the next MR2! Looks incredible, but one suggestion. Having driven many exotic cars, there is always this one problem. Ze Blind spots! If there is one suggestion I can make it would be to minimalize blind spots. With that rear window design it looks like yous gonna have a big one.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Kerbopell said:
Toyota totally should have gone to you to design the next MR2! Looks incredible, but one suggestion. Having driven many exotic cars, there is always this one problem. Ze Blind spots! If there is one suggestion I can make it would be to minimalize blind spots. With that rear window design it looks like yous gonna have a big one.
I think he said no hardtop, so i would assume its not going to have a rear window?

This is a completely badass project, can't wait to see the REAL progress

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bill Strong said:
the chassis design is pretty much done. still waiting on the rear suspension design.
I have been busy pissing my wife off and it is college football season, so I have been swamped with work that pays. once Xmas starts up I'll start welding the front metal together. January I buy the roll structure material.
I have shocks, I have picked out all of the brake system (MK2 MR2 rev2) and have to sort out how I am going to modify the MK2 hubs to work with Steve's design. I would not trust MK1 hubs in a project like this.
I am debating using a full containment open wheel style seat. I won't be building a hardtop as I want this car as light as I can afford to make it.
As an aside, has anyone given thought to RX-7 Turbo II brakes? Twin piston and aluminum...they're incredibly light. I have a pair sitting at my parents' house not doing anything if anyone is interested in seeing how they fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just found this thread.

I bought a La Bala with Northstar V8 and auto box, and imported it from USA into England. I am currently making the required changes prior to getting it registered over here (main stumbling points have been the removal of the LHD headlamps to be replaced with RHD units, and fitting a handbrake cable and lever).

Attachments

61 - 71 of 71 Posts