MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sgraber said:
Sorry, I've done some work on it, but I had to get the body panels mounted more permanently on the new chassis before continuing the hard top work. It's amazing how just a few 10th's of an inch misalignment at one corner will translate to a big gap at the other end, so it has to be precisely located.

Here is where it's at right now. You can see the doors are in place. I already have latches for them, but my hinges need to be beefed up so that will be this weekends project (at least an hour or two).

And yes, heater, defroster, radio, A/C!!!, but not much else I promise. There will be some upholstery and carpet and this time some cupholders too ... hehe

You have me sold... where can I send my money. LOL I hate how the Mr2 has no factory cup holders. Never mind the fact that the car is killer and is in my top five of cars I want to own. (hard top that is)

Speaking of hard tops... will yours be removable?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Square said:
Speaking of hard tops... will yours be removable?
You are very kind. :) Yes the hard top is (will be) removable. It can be taken off completely or, as a 3 piece targa the center section will come out separately. I've actually been debating making the removable center section as a canvas piece with a folding wire frame so the unit can be taken out and folded into a small bag.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bill Strong said:
steve, do you have the plans for this using the cage request changes?

Will there be room for an engine the size of the Northstar? I would rather use the N* than a German engine, though I am actively looking for a Audi tranny.
Hi Bill, I haven't output any drawing sheets with the new cage stuff yet. I expect to build one first to validate all of the changes. I'm also coming along with the independent rear suspension design but these things take time, especially when there is a full-time job taking me away from the fun stuff. Look for a PM, I'm sending you a link to something fun.

I estimate that the 4.2 Audi is 26" from nose to centerline of 1/2 shafts. For me to fit comfortably (6-3") in the cockpit there is about 2" of room ahead of the engine to the firewall. I don't know the length of the n* or how it adapts to the transaxle, but if the length can be kept around 28" to the 1/2 shaft then I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible.

I'll know a lot more when I actually have my driveline in hand.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
cool. I think I am going to sideline the V8 MR2 project as I really want a lightweight 400hp monster, and the MR2 just does not get into the lightweight category.
The issue I have with the MR2 in transverse layout is cooling. I am very limited on output potential due to cooling, but your layout solves that.
Plus I really think it is better having a properly built chassis, than a hodge-podge of materials and design.
I have AutoDesk Inventor 2010.

My goal would be a SCCA legal hardtop.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looks good. HOw is the rear 3/4 view? THis is common problem for mid-engine cars. THe mark2 MR2 has pretty good visibility over the shoulder.

Does your windsheild Jiggle? I had a 90 supra turbo targa and with the center part of the roof removed, the windshield would jiggle over bumps.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is my observation correct that in that last Solidworks image of the car it has a pullrod suspension?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I've been spending some quality time with my frame, changing the tube layout to comply with the SCCA rulebook. At this point the chassis is still missing some tubes, but it's getting much closer to final draft.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Square said:
quick question... what will the shifter linkage look like? I know it will be custom but how hard is it going to be to fab up?
Well I've fabbed my design up using some aluminum billet, a few pieces of steel, some bolts, nylon bushings and 3/8" heims. It wasn't too difficult and the throw can be adjusted by changing the size of the bellcrank and the position of the heim along the shift lever.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sgraber said:
Well I've fabbed my design up using some aluminum billet, a few pieces of steel, some bolts, nylon bushings and 3/8" heims. It wasn't too difficult and the throw can be adjusted by changing the size of the bellcrank and the position of the heim along the shift lever.

Your link is broken.
Getting 404 message when I try to copy and paste the url as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for trying to show me anyway... :p

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Square said:
Your link is broken.
Getting 404 message when I try to copy and paste the url as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for trying to show me anyway... :p
I had to shut my gallery down for a day or two because the bots figured out how to read the captcha and post 10's of thousands of spam comments to all of my photos.... I'll try to have it back up by tonight sometime, but it's taking me some time to ban the majority of IP's where this originated and I want whatever is doing it to get some 404 messages and maybe they'll stop...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the pic...That should be a really strong shifter if nothing else. I like the fact you?re using rods instead of cables... no chance of stretching those any time soon.

So are you thinking that this is going to be a one off project or are you going to offer this as a specel kit. With the V8 in there your looking at supercar rankings. Twin supercharge it or something and go run down some $800,000 cars and watch your kit cars fly off the shelfs. You might need to talk to Audi for more engines though. :angel:

I really wish I had the kind of shop to make stuff like that. In time....

Sorry to hear about your website.... spamers of any kind should be taken out and shot. :mad: JK....not really

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I don't think the V8 version will be a Kit like my DIY 4 banger chassis. BUT it will be available for purchase in component form or as finished vehicles for track use.

My latest advance over the past week? - Carbon Fiber Bodywork! My molds are already at AE Carbon so let's see how that turns out! :thumbup

G

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sgraber said:
I don't think the V8 version will be a Kit like my DIY 4 banger chassis. BUT it will be available for purchase in component form or as finished vehicles for track use.

My latest advance over the past week? - Carbon Fiber Bodywork! My molds are already at AE Carbon so let's see how that turns out! :thumbup

G

with the CF bodywork what are we looking at for lbs? under 2000 with the v8 right :thumbup

41 - 60 of 71 Posts