MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this quote in an older thread:

91-93 and some 94-95 cars came with an unsealed strut housing. Toyota only sells the strut housing with the shock included. They do not sell just the housing without the shock.

In 94 and 95 some mr2's came with a completely sealed unit, that was not capable of having inserts installed in them. Not all 94's and 95's came with these though. I know of several 95's with the unsealed units.

My point is, why pay the money for a new unit just so you can tear out the brand new shock and install an insert. for nearly $100 less you can pick up an old housing with a blow shock.

John
91T
I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the direction of other 94+ owners that have found that they have unsealed struts? I'm having some issues and want to rule out the fact htat I used the wrong struts.

Anybody else have a '94+ and successfully swap in new strut cartridges?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Justin311 said:
I was wondering if you might be able to point me in the direction of other 94+ owners that have found that they have unsealed struts? I'm having some issues and want to rule out the fact htat I used the wrong struts.
What do you mean by this? If you had sealed struts then you would not be able to install cartridges without cutting the top off the sealed strut and then threading it for the gland nut installation. So if you have already installed the cartridges in the strut housing then you clearly do not have sealed struts.

In order to check to see if you have sealed struts all you need to do is check for the gland nut. If you have a gland nut then you do not have sealed struts.

John
91T

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my quesiton is, are the 91-93 UNsealed struts and 94-95 UNsealed struts identical? Its OK to use a 91-93 cartridge in a 94-95 housing?

·
Registered
601 Posts
All of the housings are the same as long as it is an unsealed strut. The differences in the part numbers through the years are the valving of the struts. The physical housing does not change.

So to answer your question, any insert for for 91-95 should be able to be installed in any year strut housing.

John
91T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts