MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill, your NS engine was obdII correct?

Did you get the engine to run and fully operational or did it stay in open loop the whole time?

Is it going to be possible to have the 2zz running in closed loop utilizing the MKI's body harness mated to the 2zz's engine harness. Im hoping I will be able to do this without adding the Celica's components, ie: gauge cluster, speed sensors, ect. Shouldnt I be able to just complete the circuits to ground and/or add appropriate resistors/diodes inline to "fool" the system into closed loop.

I may have really gotten in over my head here and seek serious input. I have a fair amount of wrenching skill, but am lost when it comes to the electronics. I will definately be needing to lean on several of you to help me complete this project.

I spoke with a local Toyota service ryder this eve, and he provided me with alot of wiring info and will be glad to oblige in any way he could through the process. He thinks its a feasable job, but one he wouldnt tackle himself. He is under the belief that I will have to have the whole wiring harness, including the body harness to complete this swap.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
It is going to look for all of that stuff. maybe even the ABS. The N* wanted a reading from every damn sensor in that car. And there were tons of them. The wireing alone weighed over 50 pounds!

I would seriously suggest using an aftermarket setup.

I never tried to get the N* working on the stock ECU as it has been tried in the past many many times with Fiero owners. I know of one guy that has got it going without throwing codes, but it took some serious Radio Shack tuning. Others have had direct access to the "ECU tuning machines" that we are not allowed to ever know about. You know, the machine GM has that allows them to turn off things like a 112mph speed limiter to troubleshoot. They will not allow people to use these as the liability issues are so great.
OBDII is some serious stuff. These engines are running so damn lean, and with so much compression that they have to take some serious meassurements from the whole car. I can see already that you will have some issue with the fuel tank. Some very big issues there. It is a bit different when you are dealing with a MK2 as the car is closer to ODBII specs on the later Revs. But the MK1 is so far off, you can consider it a really stupid car.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You might consider dropping LittleRocketMk3 on in the Spyder section a PM. He's very busy with mk3 1zz-->2zz swaps, has a family, and a job, but he might be able to answer some questions. I hope he doesn't mind me referring you.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill Strong said:
www.electromotive-inc.com

get the ECU, harness and power adaptor.
WOW, Thanks!!! The site has some great info and the tech I spoke with was very helpful. This system would definately be able to control all aspects of my engine including the variable valve timing.

Seems like a great company with a great product... but ouch, I think I will need start selling body parts :smile:

FYI Arms $750 ea or $1200 pr.
Legs $1000 ea or $1500 pr.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would certainly go aftermarket with the ECU. A lot of 2zz Spyder swaps go with the Apex'i Power FC. FC Datalogic for logging data, and Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 for tuning.

You're approaching a steep learning curve. Best of luck.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill Strong said:
There is also the Megasquirt. The new one allows more vesitility than the older one. Go talk to the guys in the Aftermarket computer forum.
Iv thought about that, but didnt think they were capable of the vvti and all the other sensors and such. Wouldnt the MS be alot more work and difficult to tune. That is some good info though, being more versitile. Ill have to check into it. But that tec3...

Ill have a chat with those fellas and see what kind of light they shed..

Thanks for all the info and help thus far... And this is just the beginning!!! :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts