MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the ATS TD06 or the KO Street brawler (46 or 50 trim)be too big for my 280hp goal? is it bad to run a turbo not in its efficiency area? i am also looking at the ct27 but it would require fairly high boost to achieve my goal and it may not pull as hard in the upper RPM's like a bigger turbo would. My car is a daily driver and i want it to pull like crazy. Which turbo would be fastest for my goal. Sorry i know there is info about all of these all over mr2oc but i have read and searched everything and have not found the answers that i want.

thanks in advance

-scott

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
ct20b
ct27
46 trim
Those are the only three I would consider for your power level. The TD06 and 50trim are just too big for only that HP goal in mind IMO. You will get more power under the curve with any of those three listed than with the two bigger ones. You are right, you will have to run more boost, but with an upgraded IC and water injection you should be just fine at 16-17psi on either of those three turbos.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It will have probably very similar spool characteristics but be capable of 20-30 more HP at the same boost levels. The 46 trim is definitely the best choice for you in this situation, its just that a kit will run you more than twice what a ct27 will cost you.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
shavedturbo said:
would the SB 46 trim be any faster than the ct27?
at 280rwhp you prolly wouldnt notice anything durastic of a difference between the 2 turbos.

stock injectors will run out around 275-280rwhp....its not that bad an idea to keep stock injectors, keep a factory turbo. and call it stock :evillaugh ....

james

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
shavedturbo said:
would the SB 46 trim be any faster than the ct27?
it won't creep.
CT27 is an internally gated turbo, which are known to boost creep with an open exhaust.

You also have a greater maximum power potential with the SB46 or TD06

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I would go with a CT27 50 trim. I have that and it spools by 3000rpm. How much sooner do you want? You could also get an SB kit and meet your HP goals at lower boost levels, with room to grow if you choose so. It depends if you are willing to pay the price difference.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Scott,

If you could see dyno graphs of customer cars with these turbos on similarly modded cars to yours then the comparison could be meaningful and a clearer choice might be possible. It may be a bit of a struggle to hit 280 whp at 17 psi (although much more is possible with higher boost, EMS, etc) but the graphs will tell you for sure. Graphs will show how early the power comes on, how steady it is, and how it holds up approaching redline. You should prepare for the possibility of needing to upgrade your fuel system if 280 whp is achieved. If you don't want to get into that then a slightly lower power goal may be better and more easily achievable by any of these turbos on your car.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
IMO Bruce H. actually has the best turbo out there for a 280rwhp goal. Quicker spool than the stocker and a pull to redline, cant ask for much more than that. If you were going to spend the money on a KO SB kit, I would probably get a GT28rs kit.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I'm not sure if I could have got 280 whp out of it without the G-Force ECU upgrade to trim fuel and adjust timing. I have upgraded intake, intercooler, and exhaust and did around 275 whp on stock fuel @ 17 psi on a Dynojet with the G-Force already installed from before with the CT26. Hopefully final tuning of the G-Force with the GT28RS and fuel upgrades will be done next week and I'll eventually get it back on the Dynojet. It's very quick and early spooling, smooth and consistent power (not at all peaky), and power gently drops off at high rpms as you would expect with a stock engine. It's dyno looks very similar to one I saw of a SB 46T and they would likely perform about the same...which is extremely well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Spend the extra money and get the SB 46. The quality is excellent and it has a external wastegate. You can slowly upgrade and not have to upgrade the turbo. I havn't driven a car with the ct27 so I can't give you my opinion.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
my goal is to have as much horsepower as i can get without haveing to upgrade the fuel system. i have no intentions of upgrading it because as a college student i need to spend my money on more important things than that. if the ct27 pulls to redline and it is half the price of as street brawler, that is exactly what i am looking for. The ATS graphs are kinda bad b/c the "near stock mr2" boost spikes from 16psi to 18psi and the hp/tq #s are misleading and the spike ruins the graph. i havent seen any SB dyno graphs except for on built motors w/huge hp. who sells the GT28rs ? does it come in as nice as a kit as the street brawler?

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
Kris at KO has the 46 trim on his car -- has near stock spool and 320whp+ capabilities

i'd recommend:

*KO SB46
* GReddy TD06 kit
*GT28rs
*ATS TD06 kit

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
shavedturbo said:
does anyone have the SB 46 trim? how is it?
There was a thread last month asking for feedback on the SB 46 that you should find with a search. The only one I've seen is on the KO site but if you check with them they may be able to hook you up with a customer who has similar mods.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
shavedturbo said:
my goal is to have as much horsepower as i can get without haveing to upgrade the fuel system. i have no intentions of upgrading it because as a college student i need to spend my money on more important things than that.
Well then, the first thing you need to ask yourself is if you can afford to blow the engine which is a very possible scenario if you proceed along this route. All it takes is one boost control mis-event and the money you saved on the fuel system will be going into a rebuild. I'm sorry if it sounds mean, but if you are going to play with the big toys, you have to be ready to pay the big bills (either now or a little bit later).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
would it be safer to shoot for about 260hp in case i accidentallly overboost so that i have a little bit of room for error? if i did this would the ct27 be the best turbo for my goal?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ricky is right. Definitely want to keep your goal within your means. It would be safer to shoot for lower power so you're not maxing out. You would probably be just fine to go with whichever of the lower hp kits and just dial it down a bit. It's got a lot to do with your will power. Having a kit Capable of more than you're making is pretty tempting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts