MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i didn't read it. but i can say that my ae92 will easily outhandle my mr2, and has outhandled other mr2's..... biggest problem my ae92 has is quick hard corners.... but holds on incredibly well on sweeper corners.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I believe they are talking about the ae86.. unless we are noticing different articles.
I have this article saved on my computer. I'm amazed they got a quicker time out of the ae86 then they did the mr2. I meen I love my car and all and its fun to drive but I'm not convinced that it performs better then the mister two stock for stock. The only time I can see the corolla catching up to the mr2's is in when they are both fully track prepped and gutted only becuase it's a lot easier to get rid of a lot of weight in the ae86 then it is the mr2..
perhaps I'm wrong on something?
Either way this is a good example of why I dont take magazine autocritics opinions too seriously.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own both...ae86 is muuuuuuuch easier to drive fast on the twisties...mki is excitingly frightening when things get slippy, but not seriously so

even in high speed sweepers like the 405-605 interchange in Los Angeles is easy to take at 100+ with 4 wheel drift in the ae86 but is hard to really get that fully balanced feel in the mki...remember too that the ae86 is fully 50/50 wherease the mki is like 45/55 or something

now if the mki had a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission it might be another story

·
Registered
523 Posts
What the AE86 gains on corner entry, the AW11 recoups in mid corner and corner exit.

This is my experience from autox'ing in both.

Put a pro-driver in both, and I would put a very slight advantage on the AW11.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've driven both but I'm by far no pro driver? Do the ae86's take to corner entry quicker then the mr2? I would have figured the lower polar wieght of the mr2 would require less force to rotate the car, and since your still on the brakes while begining to turn the wheel incontrast to lifting off of the brakes that you would have amble weight over the front tires that would initiate this movement...

Or am I drunk? lol
I will say the ae86 is easier to drive though, making a mistake in my corolla just adds to more thoughtless fun in a way that its easy to take hold of even for........ me. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
What I found in driving the both of them: AW11 requires trail braking to rotate, while the ae86 can be manhandled into the turn... Not very experienced, just stating a novice opinion.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i'm sure they are talking about ae86's.... but my AE92 has surprised several 86 owners as well. if you modify the suspension on these cars they handle like they're on rails (literaly).... except for when it's raining hard... then it tends to push, but i can still use the smallports power to spin the wheels & pull the front end through ok...

my mr2, like i said, is more balanced at hard cornering..... the ae92 if i enter quickly tends to slow down, whereas the mr2 will keep a constant speed (due to the shorter wheelbase). However, if i'm having a good day and driving smart I will enter a hard corner slowly and exit quicker than my mr2 would be able to (87 hardtop, some suspension, ae101 gze). My old 86 n/a (stripped interior) seemed to be the same way, but a bit more nimble than my aw11.

That all being said, my ae92 does have quite a bit of suspension work. But i know that on an auto-x I could easily outdrive my AW11 with the corolla.

and actually... IMO comparing the mr2 and the ae86 isn't the best choice... since the mr2's are pretty much a FWD engine setup, but on the rear wheels. Really, the similarities int he way the ae86 and aw11 drive stops at the fact that they're both RWD.

·
Registered
384 Posts
morefaster said:
I own both...ae86 is muuuuuuuch easier to drive fast on the twisties...mki is excitingly frightening when things get slippy, but not seriously so

even in high speed sweepers like the 405-605 interchange in Los Angeles is easy to take at 100+ with 4 wheel drift in the ae86 but is hard to really get that fully balanced feel in the mki...remember too that the ae86 is fully 50/50 wherease the mki is like 45/55 or something

now if the mki had a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission it might be another story
im pretty sure i read on here that 45/55 was best for max grip.. something to do with the fact that ferrari did many years of research and developement on w/d... anyone have an article? or anything that proves this?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Mistertuned2 said:
offtopic, just out of curiosity whats the weight distribution of f1 cars?
anywere from 48/52 to about 45/55(mabye more but not sure), i asked a guy who had worked on the Honda Indy team, he said Ovals where your not braking as flat out or accelerating as instantly about 48/52 works best because you can get a really good polar moment inertia(thing), weras when your braking really hard and then accelerating out of a corner really hard 45(-)/55(+) is better, if all you had to do was accelerate and brake really hard than even more weight on the back would make sence

however, Indy/F1 cars he said actually dont use weight distribution as much as a road car due to the downforce they create, so if you have lower downforce than 42/58 or even porsche like 40/60+ starts making sence

put simply its a matter of application

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Driven both , very much prefer the aw11. (not because I own one)

Nuff said..

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have both, the MR2 is by far the better handling of the two. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but if I had to take a tight, twisty road at speed, I would definitely pick the MR2. Just my .02

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mistertuned2 said:
offtopic, just out of curiosity whats the weight distribution of f1 cars?
A closely guarded secret. A few years back, when they were lifted off the track, they were always tail heavy. Last couple of years, they became basically horizontal, and now most are nose heavy. The Speed TV commentators mention this almost every race.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That doesn't take into account that the lift point is always the roll hoop which can be placed anywhere relative to the wheelbase so long as it protects the driver's head when the car is inverted. So move the roll hoop back an inch or so and voila!..."nose heavy" F1 car. Over the years the driver position in F1 cars has become more and more prone. Early cars had to have a lot of area in front of the driver's feet for crash protection but now that they use very well placed carbon fiber strutctures the foot box can be a lot farther forward. From what I understand, the driver's feet are now even with or forward of the front suspension. They also now have side impact regulations to deal with so the driver's head is ideally much lower. All that leads to a driver that's nearly laying down on his back and I'd imagine that the roll hoop has moved aft. Purely speculation on my part, it's not like the design teams discuss this kind of thing. It makes more sense than adding weight to the front of the car. I suppose that the chassis have gotten so light that they have weight left over to use as ballast any where they want but I can't see the point of making the car nose heavy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts