MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dorko SuperMod
Joined
·
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i failed for NO cat... uhhh there is a cat...

i failed for non dot headlights ( i have an h4 setup that SAYS dot on the headlight

i failed for "blue lights" over my license plate (overspray)

completely redicules!!

i pointed to to cat, he said thats a resonator, not a cat UGG!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I keep my cars registered in Tx (military) but from what everyone else says, inspections in the mid-A are little more than shake-downs for whatever money they can get. However, I certainly wouldn't recommend you find someone who's willing to pencil-whip an inspection for you. That would be wrong and you'd probably feel bad about it. :rolleyes:
tasteycow
 

·
Dorko SuperMod
Joined
·
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt fail for any "real stuff" thast what drives me nuts and the fact that they SAY dot and the cat is ON there is what drives me nuts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
hmm. When I did an inspection he peered down the engine bay and asked me "is there a cat"? And I said "yeah", and he took my word for it. *shrug*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
When I sold my Miata a few weeks ago, I had the car inspected and failed because i had an aftermarket shift knob that did not show a shift pattern on it! Honest!

What's even crazier is that when I asked the guy at the inspection station if the car would pass if I drew a shift pattern on a piece of paper and taped it to the dashboard with scotch tape, he said "yes." And that's exactly what I did!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
Inspections are a shakedown. I've been taking my cars to Meineke because they know I do my own work and keep my cars in really good condition. They never even looked at them before, just pulled them in and put a sticker on. Last fall, I took my festiva beater in and a different guy was working. He failed my festiva because the brake rotors where "pitted". Nevermind the fact that there are all kinds of cars running around out there with holes drilled clear through the rotors. It cost $150 to put new rotors on that car. Seems the idiot that designed it made it so you have to have the bearings pressed out to change the rotors. I hate state inspections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
brianlp said:
Inspections are a shakedown. I've been taking my cars to Meineke because they know I do my own work and keep my cars in really good condition. They never even looked at them before, just pulled them in and put a sticker on. Last fall, I took my festiva beater in and a different guy was working. He failed my festiva because the brake rotors where "pitted". Nevermind the fact that there are all kinds of cars running around out there with holes drilled clear through the rotors. It cost $150 to put new rotors on that car. Seems the idiot that designed it made it so you have to have the bearings pressed out to change the rotors. I hate state inspections.
When I first brought the Miata to Maryland I failed the inspection because the lower end of the passenger windshield wiper had etched a barely noticeable "c" in the glass at some point. It wasn't really even in your direct line of sight.

Solution: I had to buy a whole new friggin' windshield!!!!

And I'll bet no car in Maryland has ever passed inspection without needing "new windshield wipers" that they can charge you $20.00 for.

In fact, when I first brought my MR2 to Maryland from the guy in South Carolina from whom I bought it, the first Toyota Shop told me the car needed upwards of $5000.00 in repairs to pass inspection!!! This is a car that felt and drove beautifully (albeit it did need a timing belt change and 90K service ). Needless to say I told that shop to screw off and found a different shop that got me up and running for less than half that. (That second shop, BTW, is R&H toyota in Owings Mills. They're straight shooters, and very honest. They're the only Factory Toyota shop I'll do business with).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Haha Manning; don't you wish you were still in Blacksburg to try to pass inspection?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
dsf3g said:
Needless to say I told that shop to screw off and found a different shop that got me up and running for less than half that. (That second shop, BTW, is R&H toyota in Owings Mills. They're straight shooters, and very honest. They're the only Factory Toyota shop I'll do business with).


wow...really??....i live in OM and i was just at R&H....maybe i should do some of my work there....it just seems like NONE of them know anything about MR2s....NONE...because ive asked them questions and no one there is familiar w/ the 3s-gte.....but then again....no machanic today is unless he owns one....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
MRwd-2 said:
wow...really??....i live in OM and i was just at R&H....maybe i should do some of my work there....it just seems like NONE of them know anything about MR2s....NONE...because ive asked them questions and no one there is familiar w/ the 3s-gte.....but then again....no machanic today is unless he owns one....
I don't know how well they know the cars, but they did change my timing belt and drive belts. Recently I had a pretty bad oil leak, and they tracked it down to the oil cooler and replaced that gasket. When I was shopping for an MR2 a salesman at H&R was selling his beautiful, black 1994 Turbo (it was already sold by the time I got to see it). I assume he had them service the car. I've also seen several 2nd generation MR2s parked out back near the service area on more than one occasion. Are they MR2 specialists? Surely not. But can they read the BGB and take things apart and put them back togther again in the right order? I suspect they can.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top