MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Yes, Ive searched till my fingers and eyes bled...*

Okay, I just got my 91 MR2. It?s an NA version with a 92 turbo motor. The motor is supposed to have been rebuilt 45K ago, and the compression #s seem to check out. They were low, but equal across the board (125-127 in 1-4). Of course the engine wasn?t warmed up properly and I?m not sure of the mechanic was holding the TB open 100%... or at all...

Anyway, I want (nay, NEED) reliable power. I am looking to get ~250-275RWHP (250 is just fine for now IMO).

Now here comes the hard part...

Should I drop in a new-ish JDM engine, upgrade to a built long block, or just upgrade my turbo parts?

If I am going to keep this engine, I was thinking of this (car already has an APEXi intake):

1) ATS CT-27 kit, including tuned ROM, 550cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump and CT-27 turbo

2) ATS or KORacing 2.5" DP

3) KORacing 2.5" exhaust

4) Upgraded clutch/flywheel

5) Berk/Greddy/HKS/Sparco IC

A) Is this overkill for my power needs/goals?

B) If so, what would be more in line with what I am looking to make?

C) If I was to get a new(ish) engine, which route should I go?

D) Also, if I decide to get a new tranny, who should I go through? Which is the best transmission for every day driving? Ive been reading that the 93+ turbo LSD transmission is quite popular... but I don?t want to buy a used transmission only to inherit someone else?s problems!

I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately, but I have the cash in hand and am just waiting for more info to start making purchases, so please bear with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was looking at other turbo upgrade kits but am worried about the ECU. I obviously wouldn?t want to run the stock ECU nor do I want to pony up 1200 bucks for a stand alone + dyno time (1500+ at that point total).

Oh and one more question... what speakers should I get to replace the blown stock ones? They seem to be odd sizes and I assume I would need some super shallow drivers to fit in the doors and what not. I am wondering what aftermarket speakers you guys are using w/o modifying anything in the car.

Ah and one last thing...

How wide of a tire will fit in the rear of a 91 NA mR2 body w/o fender rolling?

-Joe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cant answer all of your questions. But your 1-5List seems like good options that should get you to your power goals. I would skip the JDM engine or a rebuild though, your compression numbers look ok and a stock block will hold that power fine. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
MisterMister said:
Should I drop in a new-ish JDM engine, upgrade to a built long block, or just upgrade my turbo parts?
Nope, don't need to do a motor. Are you doing the work yourself? If not, this grocery list will get expensive fast even without a new motor!

MisterMister said:
1) ATS CT-27 kit, including tuned ROM, 550cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump and CT-27 turbo?
good choice, shown to push up to 320 rwhp through this turbo and 270 is possible on street tune and pump gas
MisterMister said:
2) ATS or KORacing 2.5" DP?
ATS is cheaper afaik, KO is also nice
MisterMister said:
3) KORacing 2.5" exhaust?
Nice choice, some think its loud, but I like it!
MisterMister said:
4) Upgraded clutch/flywheel?
Replace the clutch when it is worn out, or when the motor is down. Stock should hold 250 for a while. If you have the money, there are several cool flywheels to choose from.
MisterMister said:
5) Berk/Greddy/HKS/Sparco IC?
Berk is cheapest/best value
Spearco is arguably the best (and expensive)
Greddy was the standard
HK$ is expensive and probably no better than any of the others

MisterMister said:
A) Is this overkill for my power needs/goals??
The mods you listed should get you around 270rwhp at 17 psi on pump gas (93 octane)
MisterMister said:
B) If so, what would be more in line with what I am looking to make??
Looks like a very thoughtful and realistic plan. :thumbup

MisterMister said:
C) If I was to get a new(ish) engine, which route should I go??
Don't need it.

MisterMister said:
D) Also, if I decide to get a new tranny, who should I go through? Which is the best transmission for every day driving? Ive been reading that the 93+ turbo LSD transmission is quite popular... but I don?t want to buy a used transmission only to inherit someone else?s problems!?
Is there a problem with your tranny? You can get JDM low miles later style trannies with LSD for just over $1k but need to get an LSD axle or adapter kit that adds $200-400.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
go do the compression test again if you don't believe the mechanic did it properly then you could solve your problems without replacing things unnecessarily.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tee said:
Wow sounds like alot of work:)
LOL so said the guy who is supposed to do t3h work! ;)

Ill have the compression test done again, but given that all the numbers were within 2PSI of each other, I dont really forsee any problems.

There isnt any real problems with the transmission. I have the go real slow when I put it in reverse or else it grinds, but other then that its OK. I was more looking for he LSD powhaz. I guess that can wait for a while.

Anyone know about the speaker replacements?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts