MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my mom get some new rubber for her 03. We went and tried a few places but no one had the odd sizes for the Spyder in stock.

Where do you guys usually find them? Anyone know a place in So Cal (preferably 909/714 or 949)?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I got them from tirerack.com They were the only place that had them. I even called Bridgestone USA to see if there was a local tire dealer that could get them. They said they were not even avalible in the USA. This was in 2003. Maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sheesh. I should just tell my mom to get some new wheels that are of a more common size.

Then I can put her wheels on my mk1. heheh

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
You dont have to get the exact same size. Call tire rack for advise.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
mow is right...you *could* even go with 205's all around and become a member of the club (Spyderchat joke).

Try your best to maintain a stagger (wider rear, narrower front) or you'll be somewhat more prone to oversteer at/near the limits of the car. You may say that you never drive your Spyder near the limits on the street and that's fine...until a little Mexican death rat dog steps out in front of you and you decide to spare its life by doing an emergency lane change and back on a sweeper. You'll find the limits real quick that way.

You should be able to find the stock Bridgestones, Yokos, or Pole Position SO-3's (all well recommended) in the proper sizes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been running Sumitomo HTR-z's and I love them!!! Not going to find a better tire for the money.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Egggg-sactly. All's well that ends well. My car got even better, I'm okay, and the little Mexican death rat is still alive. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

·
senordos
454 Posts
you should have just hit the dman dog!!

kev

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you want to get some tires locally, you can check out discount tire/america's tire company. it's not so bad there....or there's this small shop in baldwin park (626) called perez tires. i usually get my tires thru them.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Go with Discount/Americas tire company...good selection of tires and rims great service and excellent warranty's. Great prices on rims, tires and packages, or wait until they have their annual warehouse clearance sale...killer prices and you can negotiate the price. I have Nittos on the 00, Goodrich on the 87, Kumos on the Honda Si, Goodyears on the 94 Vette. If they don't have what you want they will order them.

·
Security Camera Pimp
1,540 Posts
I tried the 205-50-15 Azenis I had on the MKI on the spyder with a set of 11 lb 15" wheels and it handled excellently. A tad more oversteer at the limit, but nothing I found uncontrollable. Actually Id say for a competition setup its probably better. YMMV. Of course, then I got a good deal on a pair of 18" and a pair of 17" wheels, and now Im pimpin bling bling style. hahaha

·
Registered
60 Posts
I now have 2003 spyder rims for my 89 Mark I and plan on buying some Falcon Ziex 512's from Discount tire but if they aren't available there you can order some from www.vulcantire.com sometimes its better one way then the other. Those are the cheapest for decent quality I have found as long as your not racing ALL the time just your occasional mex-rat-dog. You are right its hard to find matching sets with sizes you want for the spyders 2003+.

-E
But they sure look nice on a Mark I. :evillaugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts