MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that wheel spacers are used quite often on this board to help with fitment issues (especially when it comes to using coilovers), but are there any negatives to using them?

Can they effect the handling of the car in a negative way?

Can they cause wear/damage to other parts of the car? Someone was telling me that they can be hard on the wheel bearings? I didn't understand this. Is it true?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's the general consensus, I think, that spacers are not a good idea.

It has something to do with reducing the strength of the wheel hub. I'll let someone else go into more detail.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
If you dont get longer studs your wheels can fall off. Also spacer increase the rotational mass of the wheel assembly; this lowers acceleration and affects handling the same way heavier rims would.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
get correct wheel offsets and not worry about it. even though there are wheel deals out there, don't skimp on the 2!

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
They're not a problem if you get good hubcentric ones and make sure you have enough turns of the lug nuts and get extended studs if needed.

John
93T, 88 SC

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
jeebert2 said:
They're not a problem if you get good hubcentric ones and make sure you have enough turns of the lug nuts and get extended studs if needed.

John
93T, 88 SC

correct. just don't buy cheap spacers and don't skip on changing out your studs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts