MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
search, you will find.

I bought a pair of pyarmid 5 1/2 subs, They use the same mounting holes and hit really really nice for there size.

Perfect amount of bass IMO, 10's and 12's give off to much.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Perfect. 14 shipped from that link you posted. Just bought one! Stock sub is blown, so this is a great fix until aftermarket stereo equipment is purchased...

Good find adam and Penguin!

-Paul

·
Registered
544 Posts
Is this plug and play for the existing MKI sub? Does it sound better then the 14 year old speaker currently in there?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
MKI sub is 4", there are very few 'woofers' you can replace it with. I used a Pyramid 409G, it was 99 cents on eBay; but it fits perfectly. The reason why it's 99 cents is because it sucks and Pyramid is the worst possible brand you could ever buy :)

The stock sub does make a little bit of a difference though!

·
Registered
544 Posts
DDTPRM: Looks like you put the 5.25" Image Dynamics in a MKII -- I think a MKI uses a 4" speaker under the seat, so not sure that the ImageDynamics would fit. The Image Dynamics looks like a good speaker, especially since they are on sale, so anyone know the biggest speaker that would replace in the stock MKI sub?

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Good catch twtkid, thanks -- shame the CX52 are not on sale.

Question remains -- will the 5.25" fit in a MKI, in the stock location?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You couldn't make a 5.25" sub fit into the stock sub box on the MKI

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you can do it, that's awesome, but can you do it without severely hacking it up? :)

It's no deeper than an inch and a half, not much wider than 4 inches and you really only have 4" of usable space unless you take out the little amp

BUT, since your question was if you could fit it in the stock location, I bet you could build yourself a box with a small amp and use the factory mounting brackets and voila

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
will a 6.5" sub fit in the stock MK II sub locations?

·
Certified Lid Sniffer
4,012 Posts
BoostedPenGuin said:
Thats what i have, I bought 2 on ebay for like $25shipped.

4ohms is what you want.
Hey, bro. So this is a worthy upgrade to the stockers, eh? Hahah, I'm cynical because everything seems too good to be true at less that $20!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They sound ok. I've never heard a stock one that was in good shape so I can't really compare. But yeah they are worth the $6 plus shipping.

·
Certified Lid Sniffer
4,012 Posts
^^Yeah, my stocks sound good, so maybe I should just not think about it, heh.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts