MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 356,000 on my 85 and I think it may be time to replace the struts again, for the 3rd time.
The first time I replaced them, I had such a rough time removing the struts that the 2nd time I did it, I replaced the oem Toyota struts and housing with Monroe strut assemblies. Do anyone know if these have inserts which can be replaced?

If my strut assemblies are not rebuildable, any suggestions on where to buy new ones? Thanks.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can tell if they're inserts if there's a gland nut where the piston enters the main housing. What part of the Bay? There's a bunch of AW guys in SJ. We went through a big shuffle trying to get three of the cars on new suspension last year and learned a lot.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Monroes and Gabriels are junk. If you want an inexpensive upgrade try Tokico sports. These are the regular non adjustable Tokicos. KYB also makes replacement cartridges for the MR2. They are typically listed as direct replacement but are usually a lil stuffer than stock and their quality is much better than Monroe or Gabriel. Either I listed should last longer too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can tell if they're inserts if there's a gland nut where the piston enters the main housing. What part of the Bay? There's a bunch of AW guys in SJ. We went through a big shuffle trying to get three of the cars on new suspension last year and learned a lot.

No, it doesn't look like that, which is what the OEM looked like. I don't have a photo, but if I recall correctly, the Monroe Spectrum strut has a cap that appears to be crimped over the tube housing. Man, I regret throwing out the OEM housing, but there was no space left in my small garage and I didn't know that these parts would later be hard to find. I live in Mountain View. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Monroes and Gabriels are junk. If you want an inexpensive upgrade try Tokico sports. These are the regular non adjustable Tokicos. KYB also makes replacement cartridges for the MR2. They are typically listed as direct replacement but are usually a lil stuffer than stock and their quality is much better than Monroe or Gabriel. Either I listed should last longer too.
I agree the Monroes are junk. I currently have about 60k on them. The Tokico inserts lasted about 120k but they still had some resistance. The OEM struts from Toyota were used for 170k, but by that time, 2 of the 4 were totally gone such that you can push them by hand with practically no effort. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I agree the Monroes are junk. I currently have about 60k on them. The Tokico inserts lasted about 120k but they still had some resistance. The OEM struts from Toyota were used for 170k, but by that time, 2 of the 4 were totally gone such that you can push them by hand with practically no effort. Thanks for the reply.
60,000 miles isn't too bad for struts honestly. I tried Gabriels back in the early '90s and they were crap. Blew one in 3 weeks. I ran Tokicos for years on my '86 and got 100,000 or so miles on a set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No, it doesn't look like that, which is what the OEM looked like. I don't have a photo, but if I recall correctly, the Monroe Spectrum strut has a cap that appears to be crimped over the tube housing. Man, I regret throwing out the OEM housing, but there was no space left in my small garage and I didn't know that these parts would later be hard to find. I live in Mountain View. Thanks for replying.
I guess what I'm saying is if you don't have that gland nut, then they're not serviceable, and must be replaced in full. You can find housings from breakers. Best bet might be the British guys? Not sure if they're the same as here. Otherwise, Koni sells full assemblies, but they're like 600$ each.

My AW's previous owner tossed the stocks for KYB all-in-ones. It seems like it was a popular thing to do which is weird because now we're all scrambling to find the old housings. I lucked out and find an AW being parted out near me and bought the housings.

Good luck on finding a solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts