MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there with an aquamist system had a problem with the pump?

I got mine about 1yr ago, and was working fine until last Mon (at Laguna Seca of all places).

Here's the message I sent aquamist on diagnosis.

I bought and installed (on a Toyota MR2T) an aquamist 1s system about 1yr ago. It had been working fine until... two days ago (1/31/2005) at Laguna Seca, CA, USA. This was only my second race track HPDE, the previous one was May 2004. After a few 20min sessions, I checked my water level, and noticed the water level was the same. I checked the aquamist fuse, and it was blown.

Today I inspected all connections, I thought perhaps there was a short somewhere. I disconnected the pump at the pump connector, then turned on the car, activated WI by disconnecting one of the pressure sensor terminals, and checked the fuse - it was fine.

So if it wasn't the wiring, perhaps the fuse blew just because of a temporary overload... so I replaced the fuse. I then reconnected the pressure sensor terminal, and reconneted the pump at the connector. I then disconnected the pressure sensor terminal to activate the pump. I heard the engine rpms go down slightly (load), and then heard a small sound from the aquamist fuse area - I checked the fuse and it was blown.

So to me it sounds like there's something wrong with the pump. Is there anything else I should check?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a follow up post with info on root cause of the problem. Aquamist staff has been splendid (british accent :uk: ) in helping me out to debug the problem.

Summary: water got into the pump and shorted out the power transistor - dont place your aquamist pump with the connector wire facing up, in a location where water can get to it. Apparently water got into the circuit board either through the top seal, or through the wire harness.

Long story:
I contacted aquamist and gave them the pump serial number. They stated based on the SN that it was relatively new and should not have had any problem. They told me to check resistance between outer two wires of the pump connector - resistance should be high in one direction and <1ohm in the other. when I measured mine, it was 43ohm in both directions. They told me this was highly unusual. My pump was installed with the wire facing up just below my right front head light, using the windshield washer resevoir as a water source.

After stating I was prepared to make my own repairs, they gave me dissassembly instructions, and asked me to send pics.

back side of circuit board

front side of circuit board

You can see from the front side picture there's residue between the power and ground wires right where they connect to the circuit board.

I offered to clean it up and get a new power transistor. Aquamist support suggested it was more reliable in the long run to send me a new circuit board - its in the mail now and I hope to install it sometime next week. :woot:

I'll be changing the orientation of my aquamist pump to ensure there are no water collection points, and I'll seal all seams with silicone sealant. I will also put silicone sealant on the opening of the wire harness. Aquamist support said they had been sealing this opening for about a year on their new pumps (mine wasnt).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So, water ended up getting inside your pump because you have it installed in the frunk near the headlights?

Is this correct? I assume that the pump was subjected to water. Rain and carwashes would do that I guess.

They are sending you a free pump? Thats cool.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...not installed in the frunk, installed between the front bumper and the frunk right by the windshield washer resevoir. Here it is subjected to water spray from the road when its raining. - no car washes :D ... but putting it in the frunk is a great idea - I may just do that - drill a hole, put a gromet on it feed the water line through it... I'll post install pic when I'm done.

They're not sending a free pump - just the circuit board which I'll install in my current pump.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update.

Got the ckt board from aquamist, installed it, tested it. It worked! I sealed all seams including harness with silicone sealant.

I didnt install the pump in the frunk for a couple reasons:

1) I would have to reposition the spare tire, or run a fairly long warter line from the resevoir to the left side of the frunk.
2) The lowest point in the frunk (that is not used by the spare) is higher than the pumps current position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts