MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an Apexi PFC installed on a Gen 3 is the OEM diagnostic box no longer operational for timing adjustment, i.e TE1 & E1 ports bridged for 10* base timing and other functions?

Car is stored for winter & the battery is out or I'd check it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Trickster but I'm still a bit confused on which method works as there are conflicting opinions.

I discovered these posts on the same question:

(1) "The method below is the wrong way to synchronize the pfc timing with the engine ignition timing. And may result in a blown engine!

The correct way -as per fcedit manual - is :

Go to the fcedit "settings 1" or the hand controller "settings screen" and turn on the "idle ignition control" .The PFC will then lock the ignition timing at 10 degrees . You can then set the distributor to 10 degrees. After its lined up unclick the idle ignition control.
Done!

There are lots of misinformation on this pfc forum .Is better to download the manual .

--

(2) Quote:
Originally Posted by **********
Nope, if you jumper those pins in the diagnostic port it does not automatically set the timing back to 10 degrees and so you would set your timing incorrectly.

Step 1: Get your car warmed up to operating temp and idling at an even beat
Step 2: Put your car somewhere in the shade and pull the engine cover inspection panel.
Step 3: Using your PowerFC hand commander, go to monitor and look at what timing your engine is running at idle. Most likely it is beyond 10 degrees, then go in to settings (IGN/INJ). This screen allows you to make changes to the fueling or timing dynamically without applying it to the map. Now remembering what timing your car had at idle, manually reduce your ign amount by whatever the number is back to 10 degrees
Step 4: Shoot your timing light at the pulley and check adjust the dizzy so that it is marked for 10 degrees
Step 5: Put your timing back the way it was, and bolt up your inspection cover. You're done.

If your car runs a bit lopey it can be difficult to see the marker as the ECU is jumping around a good bit. In this case you might need an advance timing light and to get someone to hold it up to 1,500rpm or thereabouts.

-and another response to post (1)

(3) I think you might be incorrect there. Idle ignition control is a circuit that APEXi put in to the power FC to help it to cope with high lift cams that don't idle so well. When you have that turned on it doesn't lock the timing to 10 degrees, it lets the ECU adjust the timing at will to try and smooth out the idle.

Normally when setting timing I turn this off as it can make the timing jump all over the place when you're trying to set it.

Aaron from ATS states :

"Setting base timing with the Power FC is totally different. there is no jumpering of terminals. Instead you watch the PFC commander to see what timing the PFC thinks it is running and compare that to the actual timing with a timing light and them move the distributor so they match. To make it easier I use the datalogit and temporarily save a version of the tune with 15 degrees for the entire timing map. You still need to check the Monitor screen or the commander to see what timing the ecu expects. There are a few offsets that the PFC can apply and just because you put 15 in the map doesn't always mean it's running 15. (Sometimes 10 works just as good too).

Aaron.

-I know that Aaron is one of the pros but unfortunately I don't have a datalogit just a Commander.
I also don't want to chance messing with the tune with incorrect adjustments but would like to confirm what procedure /steps are used to check base timing & sync the Commander reading with the timing light readings from the pulley.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Sorry for delay

I cant comment on how other people do it, however I have had a power FC for about 8 years now and set the timing a lot of times! And i use the commander option as stated in the manual, which sets the ecu timing to 10 degrees, then set the physical timing using a timing light and turning the dizzy until its on the 10 degrees mark, then turn the ignition control back on the commander. Job done!

Graeme

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If you have the stock ECU you are supposed to short some terminals on the check connector before adjusting distributor to align the crank pulley at 10 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts