MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So now we have both Link and MS3 base maps. Maybe someone could do a side-by-side comparison of PCLink and Tuner Studio for 2GR, with regard to configuration and set-up, features, ease of use, ease of making changes, "intuitiveness," et cetera. Both apps are available free. Unrelated: this is an image I adapted to give an idea of the relative merits of standalone versus OEM ECU.

View attachment 74195

Note: OEM may also have hidden dials, locked dials, mislabeled dials, linked dials, and so on.
The "basemap" given in that thread is set up for 1000cc injectors and for a FI case. Also uses the lame time-based AE and open loop idle control but I digress. It would be cool to see the main pros and cons between the two platforms. I for one just like TunerStudio right off the bat with the simple menu layout and UI design. I hate the PCLink "file directory" style of navigating through settings and everything feels clunky but that's just me. I think the Link offers more I/O pins though so that's a plus for it already. Once I get my hands on a 2GR-FE, modify my MS3X for it, and get it running, I'll be sure to post the map that I used to get it started and running. Along with the other steps I had to take and stuff.

Here's my take on OEM vs Standalone

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
That reminds me I want to check those base maps to see what people are using for dead times, and how that compares to the injector dead time map in the stock ECU calibration file. Should be interesting.
This is off one of the Link maps I found. Says its for 260cc injectors at 4 bar.

Edit: Heres another from the G4X map but off quick glance idk what injector size its for

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah I saw that second one and to my complete consternation the guy, who is a Link employee, is not even using a fuel model he is just using the "Traditional" setting for the "Fuel Equation Mode" which means he is tuning raw injector milliseconds or so it appears, and the injector size does not even enter into play. The injector flow rate in cc/min becomes settable if you switch from Traditional mode to one of the two "Modelled" modes (see screenshot). The use of fuel models is one of the selling points of an ECU like the Link.

I did not look at the first base map but 260cc/min would be incorrect for the injector flow rate, it should be either 360cc/min for the older brown/orange injectors or 370cc/min for the newer blue/green/teal injectors. No telling what could be going on with injectors set at 260.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah I saw that second one and to my complete consternation the guy, who is a Link employee, is not even using a fuel model he is just using the "Traditional" setting for the "Fuel Equation Mode" which means he is tuning raw injector milliseconds or so it appears, and the injector size does not even enter into play. The injector flow rate in cc/min becomes settable if you switch from Traditional mode to one of the two "Modelled" modes (see screenshot). The use of fuel models is one of the selling points of an ECU like the Link.

View attachment 74219

I did not look at the first base map but 260cc/min would be incorrect for the injector flow rate, it should be either 360cc/min for the older brown/orange injectors or 370cc/min for the newer blue/green/teal injectors. No telling what could be going on with injectors set at 260.
I think the 260 was set cause the fuel pressure was set for 4bar? Not sure why, I think a 4bar setup with 260cc would equate to like 300 on 3bar, I could be wrong though. I did not know of the Link's fuel models, but yeah, weird that they aren't using the advertised feature...

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
Unrelated: this is an image I adapted to give an idea of the relative merits of standalone versus OEM ECU.
Having had a standalone on my old 3S, and now an OEM ECU on my 2GR, I feel like you got that backwards. Yes from a tuning perspective the OEM ECU is a tough nut to crack, but as far as just driving the car and having it work, 100% need to reverse those labels.

Reactions: SW20_Nate

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Having had a standalone on my old 3S, and now an OEM ECU on my 2GR, I feel like you got that backwards. Yes from a tuning perspective the OEM ECU is a tough nut to crack, but as far as just driving the car and having it work, 100% need to reverse those labels.
The man himself is going standalone. Maybe he has it backward too.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The argument seems to be "the stock ecu is too hard to figure out, so let's use a standalone to figure it out." What can I say, I agree, except that without a profit motive (selling tuned stock ecu's) there is absolutely no reason to do this [by "this" I mean "figuring out the stock ECU"], other than pure academic interest [of which I myself have displayed plenty - see my threads on the 2GR ECU].

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I guess I'll post an update. As far as the cable throttle goes, I've started designing up a throttle adapter. I've got a 3D printed prototype that fits the TB I'm using to adapt to the 2GR. I just have to get a hold of a 2GR and see if it'll all fit together. Idle will be controlled through the normal IACV that is mounted to the throttle body, making plumbing quite nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Got the adapter plate all 3D printed up and working. I plan on using a larger K20 70mm throttle body down the line once I get this megasquirt ball rolling. Now if I could just find a 2gr at the junkyard....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well I got one, I feel like a mad scientist. Also this seems to be turning into a build thread. Do I stop posting here and start another thread?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Maybe some of you saw this coming, but I think I'm going to switch over to using a Link ECU for this project. The original plan was to use my MS3X, then I decided I should use a proper MS3pro ECU for the extra VR conditioners. Theeeeenn I realized the G4+ Xtreme was about the same price for an MS3pro ultimate plus its got more features. Don't get me wrong, the MS can definitely handle this engine but I wanna mess with DBW after looking more into it. Plus the Link has a few extra goodies with it that I wanna mess with. Either way sorry if this is disappointing to some Megasquirt diehards lol.

I've attached my basemap that I was planning on using, keep in mind this is not really finished and or tested, but it might provide a nice base to get the ball rolling. Another Evora megasquirt map is attached that I found somewhere on MSextra is attached as well. That one is a little wonky but it might provide some insight.

Best of luck hope this is atleast somewhat helpful

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Link's newest architecture is the G4X. They are making a confusing transition from G4+ to G4X. There are a lot of differences between G4X and G4+, most notably, the software is different. I am not 100% sure what happens to maps for G4+ when you migrate to G4X. There is now a new version of the G4+ Xtreme named the G4X XtremeX. One of the things I always found very annoying about Link is their channel sales model which sometimes meant that you had to deal with slimeballs to get product. But now the joke's on them, if they have stuffed their channel then those slimeballs are stuck with obsolete product and this could be an opportunity to get stuff cheap. By the way, most 2gr-fe builds use the Fury model, now G4X FuryX.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Link's newest architecture is the G4X. They are making a confusing transition from G4+ to G4X. There are a lot of differences between G4X and G4+, most notably, the software is different. I am not 100% sure what happens to maps for G4+ when you migrate to G4X. There is now a new version of the G4+ Xtreme named the G4X XtremeX. One of the things I always found very annoying about Link is their channel sales model which sometimes meant that you had to deal with slimeballs to get product. But now the joke's on them, if they have stuffed their channel then those slimeballs are stuck with obsolete product and this could be an opportunity to get stuff cheap. By the way, most 2gr-fe builds use the Fury model, now G4X FuryX.

Yeah, I saw the G4X series, not sure if I'm sold on the "it's faster" but maybe I'll look more into it. Some of that VVT stuff might be useful. I still have to take into account getting a MAP sensor though. Yeah, I saw people using the Fury, I'll be getting the Xtreme, the extra I/O sounds more appealing. You do bring up a point about their sales model, if the older models drop in price that'd be kinda nice.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts