MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the mentality behind the 2GR swap is to just throw it in and it works perfectly, but I like to tinker with things, and to be honest, I wanna shoot flames. I've only seen one person here post their 2GR Megasquirt startup video, but they never gave much info or anything. Has anyone else done it before?

MS3X is capable of controlling all 4 VVT channels so that won't be an issue (I could just do the two intake channels). ACIS can be controlled with custom programmable I/O. I'll need a cable throttle, but I think that one person who did it said they used some honda TB. Is this one of those things where if "I have to ask, I'm probably not up for it" kinda deal?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just go with a Frankenstein tuned ECU, it just works. When my car is still cold it makes the occasional loud "POP" when I lift off the gas haha.

A friend who I autocross with has a Megasquirt on a built Miata. One time at an event his car was misfiring and he had to solder something on the ECU board, he was only able to get one run in that day. I guess it's one of those things if you either like working on your car more or driving your car more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A lot of Megasquirt boards are built poorly, leading to issues like you mentioned. Properly built and well tuned you can daily an MS, I've been doing it for almost 17 years across a few different cars.

That being said, if there is an option that doesn't require the immense learning curve of fuel, spark and vvti tuning, go with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just go with a Frankenstein tuned ECU, it just works. When my car is still cold it makes the occasional loud "POP" when I lift off the gas haha.

A friend who I autocross with has a Megasquirt on a built Miata. One time at an event his car was misfiring and he had to solder something on the ECU board, he was only able to get one run in that day. I guess it's one of those things if you either like working on your car more or driving your car more.
I want mooaaarrrrrr haha. I understand that the Frankenstein just works and I will definitely go that direction if the megasquirt stuff doesn't go well. I do agree with the building issues though. I was left stranded several times due to a poorly soldered joint on a diode. It is what it is though.

A lot of Megasquirt boards are built poorly, leading to issues like you mentioned. Properly built and well tuned you can daily an MS, I've been doing it for almost 17 years across a few different cars.

That being said, if there is an option that doesn't require the immense learning curve of fuel, spark and vvti tuning, go with that.
I've gotten quite used to tuning my turbo Miata throughout 2019-2020 so I'm not too concerned with the learning curve, although VVT I would have to fiddle with. I do agree though, build quality is of concern. After I fixed my diode joint issue the car was pretty much daily able until it blew up due to overboosting.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've made some notes about cable throttle options for the 2GR. Mustang 4.6-liter TB with either 70mm or 75mm butterfly has a 76mmx67mm bolt pattern that matches the 2GR - supposedly you just have to drill out the holes on the throttle body to widen them a little bit to fit the 2GR mounting bolts. You would have to use a remote-mount idle air control valve, feed it from the intake downstream of the MAF and tee it into the PCV nipple on the plenum - that's if you are MAF tuning. For a cable you might look into the one Hux Racing supplies for K-swaps, this seems like a convenient option that reaches the TB easily. Some years ago DDPR was getting over 300whp with a cable throttle and standalone (maybe LINK?) on a otherwise stock 2GR motor. I think this is a pretty viable approach without the limitations of the stock ECU, which is difficult to tune and has a mind of its own sometimes. There is not much learning curve involved the vvti maps are published and if you ask nicely somebody should be willing to just hand over to you complete data-logged maps for fuel and ignition.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Also, this. You're welcome.

i've posted this before, but it seems relevant again. here is the camshaft wheel pattern:

the camshafts have a falling edge every 120degrees, this is compatible with megasquirt.

the crank is a 36-2 wheel.

720 sync can be done by polling the camshaft sensor at the first tooth after the gap. (this is also compatible with megasquirt)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've made some notes about cable throttle options for the 2GR. Mustang 4.6-liter TB with either 70mm or 75mm butterfly has a 76mmx67mm bolt pattern that matches the 2GR - supposedly you just have to drill out the holes on the throttle body to widen them a little bit to fit the 2GR mounting bolts. You would have to use a remote-mount idle air control valve, feed it from the intake downstream of the MAF and tee it into the PCV nipple on the plenum - that's if you are MAF tuning. For a cable you might look into the one Hux Racing supplies for K-swaps, this seems like a convenient option that reaches the TB easily. Some years ago DDPR was getting over 300whp with a cable throttle and standalone (maybe LINK?) on a otherwise stock 2GR motor. I think this is a pretty viable approach without the limitations of the stock ECU, which is difficult to tune and has a mind of its own sometimes. There is not much learning curve involved the vvti maps are published and if you ask nicely somebody should be willing to just hand over to you complete data-logged maps for fuel and ignition.

Good info thanks. I did see somewhere on here that the 4.6L TB could fit, thanks for confirming that. I did not know that throttle bodies didn't have an idle valve on them so I may end up building an adapter tube for a throttle body that does have an idle valve on it for easier/simpler idle control. Either way, I'll be looking into the mustang TB's and the honda cables, thanks! Also yes, I've been lurking on other forums looking for 2GR basemaps and I've gotten a basemap going for a Megasquirt ECU based off what I've found. 🤫

Also, this. You're welcome.
Haha yes, I saw this thread. I talked with someone at DIYAutotune and they said they don't see why MS3X won't be able to use the 2JZ-VVTi cam/crank pattern with the 2GR.

This is what they had to say:
"Toyota hasn't shown the excessive creativity about cam triggers that
some manufacturers use (Chrysler and Subaru come to mind). They
generally find one pattern that works and stick to it, so I'd expect to
see the same 2JZ-VVTi three tooth crank trigger...But worst case, you could use your stock crank trigger and
a modified cam wheel. "

Hopefully, it'll work "out the box" I don't feel like grinding a timing tooth off a camshaft...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should. See this, and preceeding posts.

If it does then that's exciting.

Do you have links to any basemaps? Always on the lookout for those, for any ECU.

I based my map on the first one linked there I believe. I haven't checked the second one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Any particular reason you wouldn’t use an AEM Infinity 506? Seems to take a lot of the additional PITA factor out of fiddling with a new standalone to run a 2GR.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah good point there is a great wiring diagram for the AEM - that you can turn around and use for wiring any standalone, just substitute the pin numbers and wire colors for your chosen ECU.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yep, the 2GR timing pattern is also setup in the Infinity Tuner wizard already. Just wire it up and go. DBW throttle body and all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah good point there is a great wiring diagram for the AEM - that you can turn around and use for wiring any standalone, just substitute the pin numbers and wire colors for your chosen ECU.
Yep, I've been planning out the I/O pins I'll be using with the MS3X. So far it doesn't seem to be THAT bad, but who knows maybe I'll run out of pins for stuff or something.

Any particular reason you wouldn’t use an AEM Infinity 506? Seems to take a lot of the additional PITA factor out of fiddling with a new standalone to run a 2GR.
Mostly cause of duh muney. Plus I'm used to the MS/TunerStudio so I don't see why I would have to switch if Megasquirt can be setup relatively "easily" with a 2GR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, the 2GR timing pattern is also setup in the Infinity Tuner wizard already. Just wire it up and go. DBW throttle body and all.
The timing pattern for the 2GR is technically set up in MS as well by using the 2JZ-VVTi pattern. Assuming that's the pattern it uses.

·
Premium Member
13,335 Posts
Just to throw another option out there, it seems like the Link is one of the more commonly used ECUs for 2GR swaps (by those who choose to not use the stock ECU of course). But probably more expensive than the MS option, and of course being already familiar with the software is a bonus.

Reactions: SW20_Nate

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to throw another option out there, it seems like the Link is one of the more commonly used ECUs for 2GR swaps (by those who choose to not use the stock ECU of course). But probably more expensive than the MS option, and of course being already familiar with the software is a bonus.
Yeah I did take a look at the Link's I think they are more expensive, but it does look easier to setup. I just didn't find the software very intuitive, but maybe that'll change if the Megasquirt stuff doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So now we have both Link and MS3 base maps. Maybe someone could do a side-by-side comparison of PCLink and Tuner Studio for 2GR, with regard to configuration and set-up, features, ease of use, ease of making changes, "intuitiveness," et cetera. Both apps are available free. Unrelated: this is an image I adapted to give an idea of the relative merits of standalone versus OEM ECU.

Note: OEM may also have hidden dials, locked dials, mislabeled dials, linked dials, and so on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts