MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone else has had success using a non-toyota antenna to replace the factory T-top one.

I like to keep things stock-looking, but $200 for a new toyota antenna assembly is a bit much.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
coinball said:
Curious if anyone else has had success using a non-toyota antenna to replace the factory T-top one.

I like to keep things stock-looking, but $200 for a new toyota antenna assembly is a bit much.
Dude seriously for $80 you can buy a whip antenna, I have one on my crown victoria, just spice the wire into antenna wire so you get connection to your radio. You will get amazing pick up and if you bend over the antenna and attach it to the roof you will look like a rc car :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
yeah, i bought a Metra piece and the part number was like AW12 or something like that. works well and looks stock. i used a bit of steel to fabricate a bit of bracketry and welded it to the factory bracket because i wanted it to line-up a certain way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TTGv2 said:
yeah, i bought a Metra piece and the part number was like AW12 or something like that. works well and looks stock. i used a bit of steel to fabricate a bit of bracketry and welded it to the factory bracket because i wanted it to line-up a certain way.
Is the metra one a power unit, i.e. your antenna goes up and down like factory?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
coinball said:
Is the metra one a power unit, i.e. your antenna goes up and down like factory?
yes. cost about <$20 USD at AutoDon't, i mean, Zone. i can see if i have a pic or two to post of how i mounted it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
airisweetheart said:
Dude seriously for $80 you can buy a whip antenna, I have one on my crown victoria, just spice the wire into antenna wire so you get connection to your radio. You will get amazing pick up and if you bend over the antenna and attach it to the roof you will look like a rc car :D
dude, seriously...

·
Registered
28 Posts
ebay

I bought a generic one off of ebay--it listed the MR2 as a supported model--and it installed easily and works well. Cost about $18 plus shipping. I can get you more info if you want it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
galenhackman said:
I bought a generic one off of ebay--it listed the MR2 as a supported model--and it installed easily and works well. Cost about $18 plus shipping. I can get you more info if you want it.
More info would be great!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Can you show us how you INSTALLED and WIRED the Metra one up? That would be extremely helpful DIY and would be a TERRIFIC and badly needed STICKY on this forum!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dwebb99 said:
Can you show us how you INSTALLED and WIRED the Metra one up? That would be extremely helpful DIY and would be a TERRIFIC and badly needed STICKY on this forum!
If you were refering to me to do the write up, I'd be glad to. I'm heading up to Boston for business all week, so this weekend I can hopefully get around to it. That is also assuming that I can find a local parts joint that has the metra one in stock, otherwise I'd have to resort to the internet and the shipping latency...either way, stay tuned.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change of plans - snagged a metra pw22 on ebay, $46 shipped (most places that sold it online seemed to be about that cost without shipping).

Hopefully it arrives before I get back to NC so I can get started on it right away.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have an extra power unit, needs a new antenna but works great. PM me

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got the Metra PW22 installed today.

Before I get to the how-to part, here the only thing I have to note:

This model won't allow the use of the trunk panel on that side, mainly because the 87+ intake ducting requires the antenna to be turned 90* to allow for the proper antenna angle. Removing the intake ducting would allow the antenna to go in with the thinner dimension between the fender and the trunk panel.

Heres the old non-factory antenna that was put in at some point in time next to the new metra antenna:

After getting the correct antenna base and getting the motor unit mounted:

Shot from inside:

From the back:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ground from the metra - replace the stock ring connector with a larger one so I can use one of the trunk spring mount bolts:

Antenna motor tweaked 90* after realizing the antenna would be out of plumb enough to look retarded:

Hook up the antenna wire, and ground since they're the obvious ones. Then do the red wire to the blue w/ yellow tracer (constant 12v [be sure to check your wires as my 89 may be different than your hoopty]). Hook the blue wire (switched 12v) to the white w/ red tracer.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hook up the drain tube. Then it's time for the bracket that holds the bottom of the antenna motor steady:

You can see the bolt removed from the brakcet below that bottom of the motor bracket will bolt to.

Finished product:

I'm planning to yank the intake ducting and do the K&N filter in the trunk routine; once that is done I'm going to rotate the antenna back so that I could put the trunk lining back in if I wanted.

Not bad for $46...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts