MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
had a guy come in to work which we did some work for, he does that kind of stuff. he brought in a dash piece outta his car looked great. gonna goto him when i get around to doing the interior.

its pretty strong also, u have to chip through the 2pac clear coat paint to get to the flim they overlay with.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
ive been wanting too they finally got that link up i talked to a guy over there a while back and he was telling me about the coating but i wanted to see pics first those look good (the silver looks really good)...d

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Newbiewan said:
I did some dash parts for my Miata. It was done light wood burl color. The parts looked great, but they were a bit darker than I'd been hoping for. That's the problem trying to color match over the internet. It's basically impossible..

The biggest problem, though is that the process is very expensive. I think I spend a couple of hundred dollars to do the A/C-Radio surround and the instrument cluster hood on my Miata.

Other than that, its top notch. Very handsome work.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know what process they use? I'm curious how they would put the brushed aluminum on the parts. It must be some sort of thin metallic film that they glue to the surface and then coat with some sort of protectant.

Were the hidden sides of the pieces you sent in finished as well?

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Newbiewan said:
Do you know what process they use? I'm curious how they would put the brushed aluminum on the parts. It must be some sort of thin metallic film that they glue to the surface and then coat with some sort of protectant.

Were the hidden sides of the pieces you sent in finished as well?
Quit frankly, I don't remember if the hidden areas were done. I suspect not, because they charge by the square inch. As for the process: I'm not sure what it is either, but the results (for the faux wood) are as nice as any OEM faux wood trim I've seen. The material does have a little depth to it. I remember some thin "character lines" in the original plastic were lost after the process was done.

I'm not sure what a metal finish would look like, but I suspect it might not look as good. The reason is that metal finishes on auto trim are usually bare, but wood finishes are generally heavily laquered. And I suspect that this process done with a metalized finish might end up looking like laquered metal... if that makes sense. Still, I'd be interested in others' experiences.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The pic they got of the motorcycle pieces done in brushed aluminum is anything but brushed. It just looks like silver paint. I've been wanting a brushed aluminum dash for the longest time but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. I think I'm going to start practicing by myself with silver spraypaint and a wire brush

1 - 9 of 9 Posts