MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We plan to use the Yahama R6 coil over plug setup with our Motec M48 Pro, Ignition expander, and MSD DIS4. Anyone had any success with these COP ?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
He took off the R6 COP and went with MoTeC (Mercury) coils with his MoTeC setup + MW Ignition (which is similar to a DIS4 CD box)

try a search for user name "Chemvolt" and subject "ignition"

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm still running this setup. When it was hot outside I think the coils were getting too hot and overheating. After a few 1/4 mile runs it would misfire. If I let them cool down they would work ok. I'd like to try different coils. John

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
The Achilles heel of COPs is that they sit inside the plug well and are thus quite unable to dissipate heat. In high power applications this is going to result in limited power delivery and early component failure. In general, COP setups just don't seem to be a very good idea much beyond their original designed power levels, even if you drive them with ignition amplifier setups. My suggestion is to use firewall-mounted coils with a DIS setup.

The COPs on the latest 3SGTEs out of Japan look much beefier than R6 coils and have fairly large heat sinks on top to radiate heat. Of course, even these are going to have limitations as the ambient temperatures that the heat sinks work in are still high. Perhaps future high-power designs will incorporate thermocouple or liquid based cooling systems.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i'm using it ... seems to work great sofar on the dis4 , and they fit like stock !

edit ... i didnt made any 1/4 yet , just some test sessions with the engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about putting those heat sync cooling units they use on computers ontop of each COP. I got the coils for $100, so I figure they are worth a try.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
PeakMR2 said:
I was thinking about putting those heat sync cooling units they use on computers ontop of each COP. I got the coils for $100, so I figure they are worth a try.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
i would be suprised if that help.
normally the engine bay should have enough air flow to cool them down .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I don't have the stock intercooler, it should have double the air flowing threw the engine bay.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Wait... I'm thinknig of the right "R6" right? The Sport Bike? Wow, I would have never guessed we could use parts off one of those lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The COP does not seem to push right onto the stock plugs. Did you guys use any custom spark plug or modify the coil at all ?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
they fit right away . just push some harder i guess :D

they only thing i noticed is that the sealing for the sparkplug is a bit to tight.
and i had my doubts about a proper contact between the spring and the sparkplug , but it seems to fit very well , and it works....

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
PeakMR2 said:
The COP does not seem to push right onto the stock plugs. Did you guys use any custom spark plug or modify the coil at all ?
You have to get plugs where the little connector on top of the plug can be unscrewed, leaving just a threaded shaft. The NGK iridiums do this, i.e. IK22.

You can get them at www.sparkplugs.com

HTH,

Ken

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
KBlake said:
You have to get plugs where the little connector on top of the plug can be unscrewed, leaving just a threaded shaft. The NGK iridiums do this, i.e. IK22.

You can get them at www.sparkplugs.com

HTH,

Ken

aha ... that makes sense .. thats why i had to push them for a proper idle.
and thats why they stick out a few MM now.

thanks .. LOL :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
msd has some new individual coils for ls1 motors that look promising, not cop, but individual coils none the less and possibly more robust? It appears they may have an integral ignitor too, but more research will be needed(I just saw them in the latest summit cat at about 85 bucks each and they looked interesting)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i remember reading about the R6 coils nuking several types of ignition boxes. i think part of the issue with the cheaper boxes is they can't drive super low impedance coils like the R6. it may be necessary to use a ballast resistor or the CBR coils that have around 1ohm resistance..

rickyB said:
The COPs on the latest 3SGTEs out of Japan look much beefier than R6 coils and have fairly large heat sinks on top to radiate heat. Of course, even these are going to have limitations as the ambient temperatures that the heat sinks work in are still high. Perhaps future high-power designs will incorporate thermocouple or liquid based cooling systems.
the 3sgte COPs are inductive coils, while the R6 are designed to ONLY be step up transformers for CD ignition. two completely different designs.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
scarecrowX said:
i remember reading about the R6 coils nuking several types of ignition boxes. i think part of the issue with the cheaper boxes is they can't drive super low impedance coils like the R6. it may be necessary to use a ballast resistor or the CBR coils that have around 1ohm resistance..

the 3sgte COPs are inductive coils, while the R6 are designed to ONLY be step up transformers for CD ignition. two completely different designs.

Actually, I dont think the R6 ignition system is a CDI type, its some other form, I remember having a look. I run R6 coils on my car with an Autronic 500R cdi. The unit is holding up fine as are the R6 coils and I am not making a small amount of power either. The only issue I encountered are finding plugs to suite (that aren't iridiums, I had to get some plugs custom modified and even that backfired for the following reason) and that the use of non-resistor spark plugs caused huge interference issues which didn't allow me to get connection to the Autronic ECU with the car running and subsequently tune it.

I bought 32 plugs that are now useless for me. I had 4 of them modified for a start (turned down the solid terminal and tapped a thread on it) as the coils don't fit on solid terminal. This reminds me, I've got to order some other plugs.

Cheers,

James.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts