MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1991 mr2 automatic non turbo
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying but because I used friends and family account it’s gone but posting this will help someone else ( don’t buy sight unseen, if it’s too good to be true It is, and most of all don’t let desperation clue your judgment and instincts my spidy sense were off the chart

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
It's gone, sorry to say. I lost a 110 about two years ago on the other board through the same thing.
Fact was that it wasnt a ridiculous price,so it sounded real. I let my guard down.
It sucks man sorry you lost so much

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my first time getting had . I used to be a investigator as part of being a postal supervisor the signs were there just got to excited because I’m on a time limit to get this car done . Won’t happen again this only screws the forum from those who are truly into helping others like recently I purchased a harmonic balancer from a member good price and I received it as promised now I’m reluctant to only cash in person deals also I’m a disabled vet so my pension is limited I say so much to make sure no one gets this to happen to them today because the scams are going to be off the hook because of the economy

·
Administrator
5,746 Posts
Also, know that Im now starting to spam that email address...
^ I wouldn't do that. There's no use in it when there are quadrillions more email addresses. They are mainly single-use disposables.
Trying but because I used friends and family account it’s gone but posting this will help someone else...
I doubt it. Stuff like this has been posted many times already by previous scammed members and it didn't help you. As threads disappear over the waterfall, potential buyers don't see them and they don't search. Now that parts are becoming even more scarce, this will continue to happen. This co-worker, cousin, brother, friend stuff is an obvious ruse (to most).

Basically, I wouldn't buy anything from anyone unless they are active and have a t least 50 to 100 posts. It's pretty much that simple. While that protocol won't eliminate rip-offs to zero, it will reduce it close to that.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
@Pete - they're already responding to me. Ive done this many times before, basically anytime someone posts up like this on here with an email address that's a spam one.
Yeah, maybe it doesnt do much, but if it at least slows them down - Im good with it.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Also, there ARE some folks on here who just come to sell things or have very few posts that are legit.
I got my racerx intake, gen3 valve cover, and turbo timer from a new guy for a good deal. And we've been in touch since - good guy.

There are legit folks out there, but the ' xxxxxxx has it, email them' is a scam that's hitting ALL forums.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
👍 as technology increases so does the scammers he just emailed me a couple of minutes ago I’m not answering I’ve already been had and I’m letting PayPal and my bank handle it when he said can you kindly send me a screen shot my spidy senses tingled only Nigerian scammer use the word kindly we in the usa hardly ever say can you kindly send me your money so I can kindly scam you!

·
Administrator
5,746 Posts
Yeah, maybe it doesnt do much, but if it at least slows them down - Im good with it.
Nah, it doesn't. It just wastes your time and creates unnecessary traffic. But if you're good with it, who am I to say anything about your own time?
Also, there ARE some folks on here who just come to sell things or have very few posts that are legit.....
Sure, there are always exceptions, you can't peg a post with absolutes about anything. I've bought stuff off a seller w/ only 2 posts because I knew him personally. But citing exceptions is pointless. Maybe I've missed opportunities in the past, but why do I avoid scammers & always get what I want?

There are many more ways to establish a legit member, not just post count. But the simplest ways for the laziest buyers are post counts and recent hard activity.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
399 Posts
I've come so close to getting scammed myself (had two attempts this year trying to get parts!!) Each time they seemed pretty accurate on fair price, had photos, etc... but noticed inconsistencies and of course the requests outside of normal coverable payment methods (in case of scam.) Paypal often sides with the payor, especially if there is suspicious activity on the other end, and no tracking info. Yet Zelle and things like it...well you're pretty much screwed. I hope you get your monies back, as it's a very expensive lesson.

What gets me, is you wouldn't think scammers would spend their time on less populated forums/sites. I mean we have our following, but compared to some other vehicle forums, we're small fries. Why we get their attention at all, I'll likely never understand...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used zelle and canceled my account I think scammers are in everywhere like roaches big or small far or near they work like an organization and are in all websites waiting like a wolf in the Forrest watching and adjusting. Their routine to fit the moment They go to sites where they know people are in need of a product no longer available watch it will move to toilet paper baby formula and diesel fuel products so BEWARE ruthenium everything else

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank he bottom line is everyone at some time will get scammed some small some big but most will so beware limit your damage mine 2 x by the same scammer

·
Administrator
5,746 Posts
...What gets me, is you wouldn't think scammers would spend their time on less populated forums/sites...
You might not know this but these scammers don't focus on one site alone - or one genre either. I'm an admin on other sites too (music, audio, guitar, stocks, etc.) and the same scammers hang out there too.

Scammers create an account, lurk for a while, find out what people want just by reading the public posts and WTB sub-forums, Google a few prices and then they can negotiate as well as the next man. A dedicated scammer can make hundreds a week and 10s of thousands a year across many sites just by investing a few hours a week on their 'craft'.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know scaiare all over you will be surprised how many the post office gets one thing I learned always check the are codes that’s a big give away

1 - 20 of 23 Posts