MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found one post that said that something like 2 snapped in nicely while the others were too loose and they had to use glue - I’d rather not have to do that.

Anyone else have experience with them? I know there is a source in the UK that sells them but they attach differently, I believe.

To install do you need to pull the whole gauge cluster out or can you remove the front clear plastic with the cluster still in (obviously you would have to remove the surrounding trim)?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer the fitment question but you will need to remove the whole cluster to get the clear cover off. It's not too hard if it's an electronic speedo and not too much harder if it's cable.

This is how to remove a RHD cluster but it's mostly mirrored for LHD.
That’s what I thought but this post indicates that you don’t have to:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That’s what I thought but this post indicates that you don’t have to:
Fair enough. I haven't tried doing it that way but for the sake of a few extra screws, 4 plugs and speedo cable it's easy enough to take it right out. Far easier to handle the unit than reaching around the steering wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can remove the clear cover without removing the whole cluster from the dash. Just unscrew all the screws around the cluster and the trim at the top and you can press in the clips and pull the clear cover from the cluster. I ended up using glue to secure the bezel rings to the cluster. The ones from MR2 Heaven seemed loose compared to the one I got for one of my previous cars that fit snug without any adhesives

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can remove the clear cover without removing the whole cluster from the dash. Just unscrew all the screws around the cluster and the trim at the top and you can press in the clips and pull the clear cover from the cluster. I ended up using glue to secure the bezel rings to the cluster. The ones from MR2 Heaven seemed loose compared to the one I got for one of my previous cars that fit snug without any adhesives
If these are the same ones that originated in the UK I thought that they are placed in the opening then the edge is bent around to hold them in securely?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If these are the same ones that originated in the UK I thought that they are placed in the opening then the edge is bent around to hold them in securely?
Ohhhh that would make a lot more sense! If you go this route though, you would have to pull the cluster from the dash to get to all the clips holding the plastic shield and bezels. I'd be weary of bending aluminium though as it might show marks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhhh that would make a lot more sense! If you go this route though, you would have to pull the cluster from the dash to get to all the clips holding the plastic shield and bezels. I'd be weary of bending aluminium though as it might show marks
The link I posted above said you could remove both the clear plastic as well as the front bezel without taking the cluster out?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The link I posted above said you could remove both the clear plastic as well as the front bezel without taking the cluster out?
Well, it is possible but I had taken both pieces apart before while the gauges were out and the clips were pretty tight on there. I guess you could undo them if you have a good idea of where they are and could get good grip but I would just remove the cluster even though I'd have to fight with the speedo cable. Your clips might be easier to remove or it might be the same. No harm in trying (except for possibly some bloody knuckles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts