MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Anyone else think 3rd gear is out of place?

598 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rupes 
#1 ·
It seems like there is a large gap between 2nd and 3rd gears with the MK2NA, and the change from 3rd to 4th is pretty small. I wonder why Toyota didn't make 3rd gear a bit shorter to even out the gearing.

Discuss.

#2 ·
There is a noticable gap between 2nd and 3rd gears, but the gap is acceptable, IMO. Shortening 3rd gear would reduce drivability a bit and cause us to shift even sooner. Most RPM loss between shifts is around 1000rpm in just about every gear, while upshifting to 3rd gear is around 1200rpm. So, shifting at 5000rpm in 2nd gear will yield around 3800rpm in 3rd gear. I just rev higher to compensate.

I believe that, although the S54's gearset could use a little fine tuning, it's as good as it gets short of a 6 speed. It does its job better on the higher powered 3SGE, but is acceptable on the 5S.

#4 ·
My 5th is already as stretched as it will get. I can hardly even reach 120..i dont think i have..when i was tryinm last time i looked i was at 119 after a LONG straight away. I LOVE 2nd gear..and i think the gears are as good as they are gonna get i agree. Because 2nd gear does OWN. i would say make 2nd longer but then it wouldnt be as fun. So id say just leave it as it is till ya swap the engine out..=P

#12 ·
If the s54 had the overall 5th gear ratio of the E153 it would be perfect. The 5S is a torquey motor so it could get away with the lower rpm, and I would be willing to bet that flat highway gas mileage would increase 3-5 mpg.
I don't think anyone has even mentioned the noise reduction, but that would also be a big plus.

#13 ·
^ Ouch. Then 4th gear would be out of place. You'd have to rev high, otherwise you'd bog the engine with that long 5th gear. Downshifting from 5th to 4th would also be an issue. I think the rev loss would be at least 2000rpm at 5000rpm. There's a 40.6% difference between 4th gear and the new 5th gear. Shift -> bog (especially up hills).

#15 ·
BryanH said:
Perhaps, but some cars are like that. In my FC you will bog the engine if you shift to 5th doing 50mph or less. My MR2 is happy to be in 5th by 35mph (though I usually wait longer). The RX-7's 5th gear was strictly a highway cruising gear.
Sheesh Bryan...you want an even shorter 3rd gear? I've run 2 autocrosses where a shift to 4th was needed... :)

#18 · (Edited)
PseudoRealityX said:
Sheesh Bryan...you want an even shorter 3rd gear? I've run 2 autocrosses where a shift to 4th was needed... :)
225/50/15 or 225/45/15? :) Either way, that's a crazy fast course. There are instances where I'm on course in 3rd and I'd like to avoid downshifting for a corner up ahead, but I do so anyway because 3rd would leave my revs too low.

But actually what inspired this topic wasn't autox, just driving around town. It screws up my rythm having to wait longer for the revs to drop on the 2-3 shift, and then have a very short rev gap between 3-4. In my MK1 the gears are very evenly spaced, with the exception of 5th being close to 4th.

#19 ·
Gear ratios tend to cause rpms to drop by a percentage on upshifts, and not a given rpm figure. Shifting from 3rd to 4th at 6000rpm will lose more rpm than the same shift at 3000rpm.

A little research of the math will show you the relationship between gear ratios, vehicle speed, and wheel torque. If you look at Honda gear ratios you will start to see why although they make less flywheel torque than any toyota engine, they make more wheel torque for the first few gears. It will help you understand why the same B16 civic that beat you on the quarter (1st to 3rd) couldn't beat you on the street from 4th gear up, and why you were reeling in the civic so quickly at the 'end' of the 1/4 mile.

As was earlier mentioned, the gap from 2nd to 3rd is what allows crisper high speed shifting, and fair acceleration in 5th gear. I once had an FX Corolla that only lost about 800 rpm when shifting from 4th to 5th at 7500rpm... right in the power band. If only I could get that gearbox to work on my 3S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.