MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering if people have done this before, and if there are any general tips on what to look out for. I've put twin turbos on my 94 3000GT n/a, and I am considering helping a friend put a turbo on his 93 n/a mr2. I'm sure an engine swap would be easier as a whole (less design time) but it will cost more I'm sure, so any tips on custom turbo designs?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Get the book 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell, great info for custom turbo setups. Also, look in the MK1 turbo/supercharged forum. We have quite a few people doing custom turbos on the 4age.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, but i'm just looking for specific tips about the mr2.

i guess no one on this forum has ever installed a turbo onto a naturally aspirated mr2, and we're going to be the first. awesome

·
MR DEUCE
2,800 Posts
drone007 said:
thanks, but i'm just looking for specific tips about the mr2.

i guess no one on this forum has ever installed a turbo onto a naturally aspirated mr2, and we're going to be the first. awesome

your far from the first your just posting this in the wrong forum. search for 5sfte or go into the mk2 forum and click hybrids. it has been done many times.

there is actually a sticky on how to make a turbo kit for the 5sfe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
turbo charging the na is not a bad idea.. i've come across that many times, but went the swap way. my cousin turbocharged his celica which is the same motor and it runs fine, boosts 10pounds... it pushes pretty hard with stock internals. he has the ct26 turbo, which is good cuz the manifold from the turbo one fits the na. all he did was that, exhaust, manual boost controller, afc, and 2 guages, and 2 hours of tuning and its done! we never dynoed it before, but its quick about almost as quick as mines... i raced him and i have everything stock as well. he falls about only 3-4 cars behind in a 5 block race where i live.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
haha, thanks I'm not really naive or arrogant enough to think i would be some kind of pioneer. lol i just knew that it would be a way to get others to respond to the thread.

i saw that thread talking about the turbo kit, but i am not very familiar with the platform so I get kinda confused as to what situation he's describing. I see a lot of mention of a 3sgte, isn't that the stock turbo engine? I would be messing with a 5sfe (i believe). although, my friend said he might just wanna do an engine swap (which i totally agree with), and that way, I can use the 5sfe (or whatever it's called) for my future project tubeframe car :smile:

Xlee, is the ct26 the stock 3sgte turbo? and am I understanding correctly that the turbo manifold fits the n/a block w/o any mods? interesting if that's the case...EDIT: nevermind, found it in the link This WILL bolt directly on the 5sfe head with out modification other than bending the coolant lines from the water pump down aprox. 1/2in.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a 93 5SFTE, I used many 3SGTE parts. I used a Ceramic CT26 for faster spool time. Its a long process and Its not fun but well worth it. I hope you have money to fix if it breaks cuz I dont and mine usually sits at my house till I can afford to fix it. My kit is curently running on 8psi, I dont want to risk blowing the engine since its all stock internals. BTW invest in a MSD BTM, Very nice to have for tuning and prevent detonation. Check my car out on www.cardomain.com/id/theblackknight .good luck.
-Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts