MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about setting up a small nitrous bottle to cool off the intercooler. I'm sure someone has done this already I just want to see some other set-ups and if anyone has ideas of what to do let me know. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
You'll have to get a custom ring made, but otherwise it's a fairly simple setup. Definitely run CO2 instead of N2O. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey guys.... Im emailing from Afghan. When i get back, im thinking of spraying my greddy intercooler w/ C02. What is needed to make a custom ring made to go around the intercooler?

In the site that Murphy posted, the company says that it up's the HP by 50hp. Does that sound correct?

S

·
0 Posts
Mr.Futas said:
In the site that Murphy posted, the company says that it up's the HP by 50hp. Does that sound correct?
I would tend to think that those numbers are a stretch at best. Theoretically, unless your IC is heat soaked, spraying the IC will provide no benifit what-so-ever. I think it's a viable solution to prevent heatsoak, but beyond that, there are no power gains to be had from it, only the ability to help your car maintain the power it's already capable of when the IC is cool.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd have to disagree with that - saying the system will get you a certain amount of hp is rather arbitrary - but if your intercooler is exposed to -20 degrees with the co2 spray (also arbitrary figure, I don't know the exact net temp you'd get) as opposed to +20 ambient, the outlet air will definitely be cooler and denser, therefore giving you better power. Same reason LSR and drag guys use liquid-to-air coolers with dry ice in the water tank.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, I do have heat soak problems. Was thinking of making a C02 kit, and wrapping my exhaust pipes. That should lower my engine bay temps considerable. I dont know about wrapping my pipes, due to the amout of moisture the wraps holds, increasing the chances of rust, thus spraying my intercooler w/ C02 should help battle the heat soaking problem.

Any ideas, or comments?

·
cages R slow
1,981 Posts
i have heard of 50hp being gained by spraying the IC - no new news there.

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Water can disapate the heat off the IC better/faster than CO2. The only thing is, it will drip from the car, a big no no at tracks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
the last time I went to the track we just used a spray bottle and hit the intercooler with it for about 30 seconds before we got to the staging lanes

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i think the best setup for a custom ring would to get some cobber pipes from the local hardware store and paint them black or silver so they dont oxidate. then drill some small holes in the piping to spray the i/c with. Any one have thoughts to add to this?

·
Registered
207 Posts
IMO I don't think that would be very efficent since the smallest drill bit will still make it squirt out like a water gun. If you're wanting to make your own, it sounds like a jimmy-rig, but I've seen the misters at like Six Flags to keep you cool, if you used those nozzles with any kind of piping I dont' see why that wouldn't work. But that's just me being cheap :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts