MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
Well, cool is one take on it for those that have never heard of the car.

His manic delivery & slick presentation - which is obviously made for those with no attention span - still pushes falsehoods to the next generation. Thoroughly debunked beliefs like "wicked oversteer snap that wanted to kill you" really have to die, like right now. It's the same old crap hyped by a misinformed youngster who didn't do his homework and has nothing original to say.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, cool is one take on it for those that have never heard of the car.

His manic delivery & slick presentation - which is obviously made for those with no attention span - still pushes falsehoods to the next generation. Thoroughly debunked beliefs like "wicked oversteer snap that wanted to kill you" really have to die, like right now. It's the same old crap hyped by a misinformed youngster who didn't do his homework and has nothing original to say.
Yeah, it's full of holes, but kinda fun to watch. That dude is amped!

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
7,073 Posts
I couldn't make it through the whole video, it felt like the donut media video but worse. I assume fitment industries and donut media are the same company.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The face of enthusiasm expresses itself in many ways.
The MR2 has reached Legendary status. I'm not unhappy about that.
There certainly some slush and questionable statements but overall the video is pretty standard for what I'd expect these days. Not a negative take but you kinda gotta weed through what's true and what is hogwash in just about everything in 2021.
Cringe for me comes when I hear it called "poor mans Ferrari" and of course the wild tales of snap oversteer.
Not that my MR2's is for sale or trade for anything other than one's in nicer shape but videos like these from larger channels does nothing but pack zero's behind their value. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
Don't forget, it was basically put up as an ad, not so much for relevant info.

I came off of it feeling like It was generally a slick regurgitation and ho-hum summary of MR2s gleaned from countless better videos - with an ad tacked on at the end. The only thing about it that wasn't lazy was the editing and that goofball's ADHD.

But I'm not totally flippant about it (though the uneducated oversteer claim made my blood boil). The video could be a good starting off point for someone interested in this older classic sports car, maybe stoke the fire of curiosity to get their new audience to dig further.

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
Yup, despite my criticism, it was fun to see those '2s.

Both the MKII and the MKIII were phased out because of economics. The MKII had become too expensive ($65K+ in today's bucks) and the boomer market was fading fast. The MKIII was admitted in a press conference by Toyota reps that it was a loss leader. It worked, that very year Toyota surpassed GM to be # 1, so they canned the MR2 as it wasn't needed anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts