MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Corolla FX-16 sitting in my driveway, and I have a NA 1st gen motor/transaxle in the garage. A few months back, the idea of a dual engined Corolla entered my mind (and hasn't left since), I realize it would take an immense amount of time to do this, but I was wondering what other peoples thought were on this.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
It's relatively easy with automatics, but I think manual trannys will be a challenge. Still, if I personally had such a hare-brained idea, I would do it! LOL Look at the Ford Shogun project for inspiration.

I would create a tubeframe cradle to hold the engine, tranny and suspension bits, then figure out how to mount that cradle into the car nice and solid.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, they're both 5 spds, so I'm trying to figuring out a way to hook both up to one shift knob. Or I could just try to find one or two auto transaxles.

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Nightwind said:
yeah, they're both 5 spds, so I'm trying to figuring out a way to hook both up to one shift knob. Or I could just try to find one or two auto transaxles.
Your looking at 2 virtually identical cable shift engines. The back transaxle is already set up for mid-engine. Source the shifter cables from a MKI and you simply have to devise a way to attach the cables for the rear tranny to the shifter you already have. A few bits of steel and a welder should do the trick. If you need to see what an MR2 shifter mechanism looks like I'm sure you can find a photo around this place.

Graber

1 - 5 of 5 Posts