MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning ahead for an engine rebuild and I'm picking and choosing parts and deciding where money should be spent and should be saved.

So, I come to bearings. I see that my local auto parts store sells a main bearing set made by Clevite for $24. OEM bearings from partznet are $70.

Is there any real reason not to use Clevite bearings versus the OEM bearings? Same with the rod bearings.

Thanks
JP

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Just with Clevite, you probably won't be able to perfectly match your block / crank / rod codes. It'll be a "universal" bearing. If, however, you've turned the crank or have non-stock rods - never mind. In any case, invest in a coupl'a sleeves of the correct width Plastigauge.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just with Clevite, you probably won't be able to perfectly match your block / crank / rod codes. It'll be a "universal" bearing.
Good point. How much of a problem is this going to cause? I was going to go with the standard size bearings as my engine is currently running like a top. The rebuild is only happening because I have several oil leaks that need sealing and a stuck spark plug (no idea why...less than one year old, properly tightened and anti-seized). While the engine is out I figured I might as well freshen it up a bit.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man if it's "runnin' like a top" I would leave it alone! Sounds like your problems are external (oil leaks) so I would take care of those. Confuscius say "man who fix what is not broke-----soon broke".
:p The main seals and cam seals are leaking. Getting to those is easier by just pulling the engine. Then I'm going to have to take the head off to properly fix the stuck plug. If I'm that far in I might as well spend another few days going through the whole engine. Maybe I'm just odd...or don't have enough to do. :thumbup

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i just did the same thing.. engine wasnt blown, and in pretty good condition, but i wanted to rebuild to be absolutely solid because im probably going to beat the hell out of it.. i used clevite 77's main bearing kit and plastiguaged them. they were all pretty consistant, and all right in the middle of the in-spec range, very close to eachother... nice fit!

clevite bearings have an oil channel grooved into them.. i dont think oem bearings do... im still unsure about how i feel about the channel groove... more room for oil, but less bearing surface area to ride.. hmm.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,802 Posts
had no problems so far (about 15-16 months now) with my 4agte useing aftermarket ACL bearings i got from work. was lazy and didnt even plastiguage them... hehe (sorry Norm... ;) )

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had no problems so far (about 15-16 months now) with my 4agte useing aftermarket ACL bearings i got from work. was lazy and didnt even plastiguage them... hehe (sorry Norm... )
Did your bearings that you used have an oil groove?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts