MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scheduled for the Feb Roebling Road double drivers school (since the CMP one was canceled <growl>) in my freshly prepped FP MR2 and wondered if anyone had any comments about the track. I have zero track experience and next to no seat/run time with this car...so it should be interesting <grin>

My biggest fear is that the car is going to crap out before the class is done...I have tried to go over everything over and over but...you never know. Over the holidays I rebuilt the engine with all new Toyota parts (rings, pistons, bearings, pumps, belt tensioner, valve stem seals, etc) and it has under 50 miles on it but seems to be doing fine. It is bone stock except for valve springs... The brakes are all brand new (pads, rotors, lines, fluid) as is the suspension (konis, GC, delrin bushings, st bars).

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Coty

·
Registered
258 Posts
woodc said:
I am scheduled for the Feb Roebling Road double drivers school (since the CMP one was canceled <growl>) in my freshly prepped FP MR2 and wondered if anyone had any comments about the track. I have zero track experience and next to no seat/run time with this car...so it should be interesting <grin>

My biggest fear is that the car is going to crap out before the class is done...I have tried to go over everything over and over but...you never know. Over the holidays I rebuilt the engine with all new Toyota parts (rings, pistons, bearings, pumps, belt tensioner, valve stem seals, etc) and it has under 50 miles on it but seems to be doing fine. It is bone stock except for valve springs... The brakes are all brand new (pads, rotors, lines, fluid) as is the suspension (konis, GC, delrin bushings, st bars).

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Coty
If possible, take someone with you to look over your car, you will not have time to do so and still pass. You will be kept pretty busy both on and off track. Trust me, you'll be glad you did this.

Oh, and have plenty of fuel and tires on hand. I'd start with a fresh set.

I may be there with a friend getting his license with a Vee, assuming I can get off work that is, it's a busy month for us and my desk is piling up already!

Good luck with the school.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Absolutely take a helper. When you're not on the track, you'll be with an instructor who will be critiquing, advising, etc. Plus you'll have about 4 to 5 hours of actual track time in your car. You will be physically exhausted - even if you don't have to do any wrenching, tire changing, fueling, and all that. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Woodc: I've done the Roebling Road driver school 3 years ago. The best advice I can give you is this: 1.) Take some help. You won't have time to make changes or repairs. Put some more break in time on your motor. 2.) Don't try to impress the instructors that you are Mario Andretti re-incarnated. You will only screw up more. 3.) Try to run around mid pack for your group-not the fastest or the slowest just steady. 4.) WATCH YOUR FLAGGING STATIONS.Instructors at Roebling are good at letting students go for it then hit you with flags when you least expect it. Violate the rules too often and you'll come home without a sign off on your log book. 5.) BE NICE. Don't argue or be sarcastic with the officials, tech inspectors, or your instuctors. You need their signatures on the log book or you won't race. I've seen at least three students sent home to have to come back and try again!! Finally say hello to Hyler Craft, Chief Tech inspector for the Southeast Division. Tell him Rudy Payton will be looking him up real soon. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice...keep it coming :)

I do not have any way of having anyone go with me so....at best maybe I can recruit someone there to help <grin> I hope to not have any repairs to do...if so I will probably be putting it on the trailer and taking it home <sigh> In a perfect world the only thing I will have to do is slap gas in it a couple of times...and if I don't have time to do that....something is amiss. I hope to have some extra wheels/tires by then...but the whole Roebling instead of CMP thing has really screwed up a lot of prior planning for me <grunt>

The car is a gutless wonder as is so...running toward the front would not be an option anyway....I plan on having a sore arm from waving folks by <snicker> I make no claims to have the slightest clue so...no pretending to be the worlds next best racer here.

How do you get more runtime on a car you cannot drive legally on the road :-( This has always been a big dilemma for me... I hope to make it to a test and tune autox between now and then...which is not the optimal break in scenario...but it is better than nothing <sigh>

PR is not an issue for me...but I understand the need for the suggestion <grin>

Thanks again
Coty

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any input on how to put miles on a fresh rebuild in a car you cannot drive on the street?

Coty

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
jackstands said:
I would think you should put more miles on the engine before you track it.
Why would you say that?

A driver's school would be the ideal time to break in an engine. You spend a goodly portion of time behind the pace car or under full course yellow for the first session or two. And the best way to break in a race motor is increasingly higher rev limits with alternating WOT and coasting, and not maintaining a constant speed. I don't know of a better place than a race course where you're limited on how fast you can go - at least initially.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
late apex everything

stay off the pavement patches

·
Registered
150 Posts
basically what kbrew8991 said and try to be smooth it pays out dividends at Roebling, also if they dont mark them with cones a lot of the apex and track out points on the track is where the pavement is cracked so keep your eyes open

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
heheh I almost learned the hard way about those patches.... little off-line while flat-footing the last corner and the car steps out a few degrees as I hit a row of them... definatley a little pucker factor going on :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts