MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im looking to convert my 88 SC auto to a manual. Since Im in New Zealand its a jap import. I was just wondering what were the differences between a NA manual mr2 and a SC one?
Were there any differences between the years aswell?

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are a couple of wreckers in Auckland which have almost complete mr2's im sure they have a super or two... so you could probably get a supercharger manual anyway :|

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
A couple hundred pounds in weight. and about 40 HP and 40 ft lbs of torque. The weight increase is due to the SC and all its gear. The 5 Speed SC also had the E51 transmission which is both stronger and heavier than the NA C series gearboxes.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
yes there is a difference. there are 3 trans for MK1 offered, at least here in the states. i guess it wouldnt do you any good to tell you years. anywaze, there are the NA trans- C50 and C52 and SC trans-E51. E51 is stronger but taller gears. C52 is your best bet to swap in as it is stronger than the C50. I have a C52 in my 86SC. They are strong enough to handle the sc torque, just dont want to do big drag launches. the C52 has shorter gears and is lighter, just need to watch out on axles though.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just re read my Question again and forgot to add............the differences between the NA to SC manual in terms of doing the conversion.

Aside from there being different gearboxes are the flywheels different? Clutch plate size? Axles the same for NA and SC?

TinMan who are the wreckers in Auck who you think have whole SC?

·
Registered
166 Posts
theres a wreckers in Takanini that has 1/2 a dozen full bodies... damned iff i know how you'll get a tranny out of them though... and theres a place in Glenfield called Toyta's Galore... ive never been there but apparantly they have some mr2's there

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
The C50 and C52 tranny either used a 200mm or 212mm flywheel, depending on production date. the E51 uses a 225mm setup. Additionally the SC axles are different than the NA axles. Much beefier and mount differently to the tulips at the gearbox. Also, the shifter cables are different lengths beteween the C and E series boxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts