1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I have an 88 mr2, bought it off the boards,
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=135602

Since then i have drive the car, put bout 10-15k miles on the motor, ran strong...
Also i removed the turbo stuff, for the time, because didnt have enought fuel and was running lean..

ok my problems:

Car will start and idel find... if you try and trompt the gas it will bogg down and then catch back up and shoot fire balls out the exhaust ( pretty sweet ) not good i know. . .
If slowly applied gas it will stay with it and still shoot fire out the exhaust,
I have changed the rotor, cap, wires, and spark plugs.. also i have checked the timing.
So still doing the same thing i have a fuel filter coming, and the fuel pump is running i can hear it inside my car..
ANY IDEAS?? What do i try next??

·
Registered
881 Posts
First thing I'd do is get that TVIS working somehow. And I dunno about the 2.5" exhaust, there is a lot of good info about the effect of exhaust systems on the thread that talks about back pressure that is on the first one or two pages of posts. I feel that you are lucky to have such a combed out motor, great start!!!! :thumbup Just keep combing!!! IMHO put on a stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Your running way to rich. I would suggest getting the FI cleaned or new ones to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes i know i am running way to rich... how do i fix it try and get the TVIS working?? i have no clue what i am doing there??? also the stock exhasut could be an issue?? not enough back pressure?? i have a stock exhaust from another mr2, i just have to make sure how to plug up all the oil lines the guy ran before me so i dont cut off oil to everything u know what i mean.. just gotta get time,

Also should i be worried bout coil??

thx frojammer for complimenting my motor, i know and am very happy wit it, i will be putting it into a great body that i have found as well so i should have a great combo... If i can get the thing running for now...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mestup- it looks like the previous owner left the TVIS disconnected, perhaps to gain more intake area (at the expense....the extreme expense) of bottom end torque. The TVIS defaults to the closed position if it is disconnected. The TVIS has a vacuum line associated with it, a VSV and a square wiring coupler..To hook it up, I'd hook up the wiring coupler, and route the vacuum line. Going to the intake, there is a siamesed bunch of steel vacuum lines. Four of these go to the throttle body. If you'll follow the lines from the throttle body towards the front of the car, you'll see a fifth steel line on the bottom which points toward the TVIS area. This should have a short length of vacuum line, a check valve, another short length of line, & a "T" at the VSV.
Put the line from the check valve to that T and you should be set provided the others are hooked up, should be easy to see which goes where.
On the exhaust, you really do need good velocity in the exhaust tract to aid scavenging. Having a too large diameter pipe slows scavenging at the bottom end of the rev range. Sort of like having an open TVIS in the intake, too slow intake air velocity. BOTH cause sluggishness in the bottom end.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
maybe that walbro pump is over runnning thr NA FPR????

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
You need to figure out what size injectors you have before you replace anything else. It sounds like those are too big to run properly with the low compression pistons you have and no turbo, the fuel filter is not going to help you either, you're already flowing too much fuel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have stock injectors, i am not worried bout bottom end torque with the low compression pistons i dont have any right now.... where is the FPR located?? i will work on getting the TVIS hooked up today...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Mestup said:
i have stock injectors, i am not worried bout bottom end torque with the low compression pistons i dont have any right now.... where is the FPR located?? i will work on getting the TVIS hooked up today...
Stock NA or SC injectors? What's the color on the injector clips/connectors?
The FPR is mounted right on the fuel rail, make sure you have the vacuum ref hose connected to it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
injectors are yellow, with grey clips, i looked at the FPR and there is a vacumm line running from it up to the intake

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
yellow??? I don't think those are stock toyota injectors then and that could be the problem. Can you contact the guy you got the car from and find out where those came from or what size those really are?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no the guy wont return my phone call, or email, i think he knows he left me wit loose ends and he doesnt want to answer questions??... what color should they be??

i'm not mad cause i got a build motor cheap, but i wish he would at least answer the call...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
They should be an orange/brownish color if those are stock SC injectors, I think he had a piggiback running the fuel so you may be able to tune those down a little. Even if those are stock SC injectors it will run rich without an SC or the turbo.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what color is the na injectors, they are defiently yellow, the piggy back wasnt hooked up and never worked, so... the car is running very rich can u adjust the stock fpr? if so how?? my buddy is bringing a fuel injector tester up tonight so we can make sure those are all running properly, should i hvae him take apart my other parts car and bring up the other injectors??

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Hey man I don't remember what the na injectors look like but I have some at home so I'll take a look this afternoon, I would try to use the spare set of injectors you have for now and see how that works. The fpr is not adjustable.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mestup- Correction: TVIS defaults open if disconnected. Not closed. The sluggishness can result from having all 8 runners open during low rpm operation.
The TVIS is operated by the EFI computer through the harness, so all it needs is a vacuum source with check valve, and the wiring coupler to the computer, should be simple.

·
Registered
881 Posts
USPSPRO I agree

Mestup, you can check this theory by checking the running fuel pressure. If the high volume pump is overrunning the fuel pressue regulator, then the regulator can't regulate and the pressure will go up. Holler if you need a fitting.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Mestup said:
hey i found out the yellow injectors are 7mge injectors..
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/Injectors.html

that site says they are not much bigger would this really effect alot??

Also can the TVIS system be hooked up with all the emmission componets being gone??
That's about a 40% increase so yes it will affect it quite a bit, all you need for the TVIS if you have all the pieces is a vacuum line to the VSV and the connection to the ECU.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, so i should defiently get the smaller injectors in, do u think the TVIS is causing the problem since i have enought air, since it is defaulted open??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts