MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are two small 'springs' on each set of brake pads and mine are looking pretty crappy. i checked the dealer and they charge $15 for these things! where can i get some cheap ones or somthing else that will do the job?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
are you talking about the anti squeal shims on the backs of the pads? if so i have the ones that came off mine a few weeks ago when i did mine's brakes. you are welcome to them....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are 2 little springs attached to each pad that spread them apart when the brakes are released.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Be sure to get them....I lost one and thought "they can't be that big of a deal" and now that brake squeeks.

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
^^ What Hamster O Death said...

I just put EBC GreenStuff pads on my 91T. IIRC it was $24 for the front and back total $48. That was for 4 springs front and back (total 8 springs--2per pad set and that included the shims that the pads fit in). Here, try Partznet, they are usually much cheaper than other dealerships. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=840

BTW if you are getting front set or a WHOLE set(front and rear) then $15 sounds like a real good deal. If they are charging $15 a piece and you need 2 per pad set (total of 8) then definitely check somewhere else. I do NOT know of any other alternative from any parts store. But, you may try AutoZone, NAPA, etc.. But if you think $15 is expensive DON'T do any other work on your MR2. Toyota wanted $14 for a small 4 inch coolant hose on my 91T! Brake parts are usually the cheapest things to replace. HTH

Daniel

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you have the part # because i cannot find them on partznet. i have the ones for the front, i just need the rears.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dijital357 said:
are you talking about the anti squeal shims on the backs of the pads? if so i have the ones that came off mine a few weeks ago when i did mine's brakes. you are welcome to them....
don't you need those?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just looked and mine do too, lol, i guess i should pay attention. but i'm still short the anti-squeal springs for the rear. does anyone have a part # or a cheap solution?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i bought an OEM kit, and an aftermarket kit from raybestos. as far as i can tell, they're dead on identical. it was like 12 bucks aftermarket, and 20 oem.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
12 bucks for how many springs?

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
jayd241: 04947-17010 Fitting Kit Disc Brakes. $26.10. This was a complete kit front and rears (springs and shims). So, looks like my earlier post was wrong on price. It was $26.10 (plus tax) from my local Toyota dealership (glad I kept the receipt!). HTH

Daniel :thumbup

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hope I do not add to the confusion here ... there is a different between the shims (credit card sized, flat pieces of metal) and the spring (y-shaped, goes into tiny holes on the sides of the pads themselves). The shims will come in a kit, 2 for each pad, so 8 for front kit, 8 for back kit. The springs come with the fitting kit, together with the little metal clips that hold the pads to the calipers. Also separate kit for front and back.

I recently have had to replace them -ALL- on my 94NA and here are the part numbers and descriptions. (as well as price I paid at partznet)

All I can say is that without the correct combination of springs and shims installed, I tried everything to make the brakes stop squealing ... nothing worked. With these, went away right after install. (I'm using OEM pads.)

Cheers,
8j2_93T

94 NA
Front
04945-17050 Shim kit, Anti-squeal (27.12)
04947-32090 Fitting kit (20.55)
Rear
04946-17010 Shim kit, Anti-squeal (14.32)
04948-17030 Fitting kit (11.38)

·
Registered
761 Posts
BGB says to also reuse the pad wear indicators. Does that kit include the pad wear indicators? Previous owner got rid of the stock ones when he replaced it with pads that came with their own indicators. And now I dropped in Porterfields and they don't have the attached indicators on them (meaning they probably reuse the stock ones).

·
Registered
297 Posts
8J2_93T said:
I hope I do not add to the confusion here ... there is a different between the shims (credit card sized, flat pieces of metal) and the spring (y-shaped, goes into tiny holes on the sides of the pads themselves). The shims will come in a kit, 2 for each pad, so 8 for front kit, 8 for back kit. The springs come with the fitting kit, together with the little metal clips that hold the pads to the calipers. Also separate kit for front and back.

I recently have had to replace them -ALL- on my 94NA and here are the part numbers and descriptions. (as well as price I paid at partznet)

All I can say is that without the correct combination of springs and shims installed, I tried everything to make the brakes stop squealing ... nothing worked. With these, went away right after install. (I'm using OEM pads.)

Cheers,
8j2_93T

94 NA
Front
04945-17050 Shim kit, Anti-squeal (27.12)
04947-32090 Fitting kit (20.55)
Rear
04946-17010 Shim kit, Anti-squeal (14.32)
04948-17030 Fitting kit (11.38)
You wouldn't happen to know the part numbers for 93+ turbos would you? :brakepads

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry nope ... my 93T has yet to need a set so not doing the homework on that! :smile:

I would just call partznet really ... the shims/clips are not listed on their online catalog but once on the phone, they got to it pretty quickly.

Cheers,
8j3_93T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts