MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ....i was thinking about the piping, and it came to my attn....

the way my car is now as NA, the intake hose has a air temp. sensor i believe (pointy black thing). i was wondering, when we go turbo, do we still gotta use that thing??

we just make a hole in the intake and plug it in??

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
IIRC, it needs to go into the intake after the intercooler because it is an important sensor (don't leave it off) and the pressurized air will be heated, a condition the engine needs to know about.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
^ he is correct in a way how will this motor be running? ecu wise? that will determin where it needs to be and all that jazz

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
The temperature of the air going into the tb is one of the variables the ecu takes into account when determining how much fuel to spray through the injectors. Hot air is less dense than cold air, so hot air needs to be a bit leaner than cold. If you just have the sensor hanging out in the engine compartment, the ecu thinks the incoming air is whatever the ambient temperature is (say, 70 degrees), whereas your engine may actually be getting air that is 150 degrees or so.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
funny the turbo cars have the iat pre turbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.