MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know there has been a fair share of engine noise posts and believe me i've looked through them all. I've heard about rod nock symptoms and I can't determine if it my noise is rod nock or what.. I just finished rebuilding my motor from the ground up and it has been running great. Good compression, no burning oil, etc.. I changed everything out including new clevite bears and made sure I oiled them up nice. When i accelerate above 3000 rpms I start hearing a fast ticking noise and it only happens under load. I can rev to 3000 rpms and up and it will not make the sound... only then in gear and underload. Could this be something with my valvetrain? I have a reman head with a fresh headjob and seals, etc. Currently i am running 10w30 and the weather is average around 50degrees around my parts... Do you think switch to a 5w30 can fix this? I just want to pinpoint the sound because if it is my bearings i want to change them out asap. Rod nock would be such a huge bummer after getting this think back together after 4 months of work (Well 4 months of time and 30 hrs of effective work :smile: )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i did not turn the crank

Yeah, i'm hoping its just valve tap... All the other posts concerning rod nock always referred to no load situations... mine is the opposite...

I just changed to 5w30 so lets see if heavier oil can fix this situation

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
If it was not knocking before you replaced the bearings, then, assuming nothing went wrong in the rebuild, it should not be knocking now. Did you use plastigauge, or measure the shaft for clearance? How much hot oil pressure do you have?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry i meant switching to a thinner oil.

Also i only notice this sound when my engine has finally warmed up all the way. When cold it does not make this sound. I wouldn't say pinging... more like a really fast clacking.

and oil pressure light never comes on except for the 2-3 seconds when first starting the car.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
geha13 said:
I changed everything out including new clevite bears and made sure I oiled them up nice. )
You want to be careful you don't over oil them though, and hopefully you didn't oil the back sides of the bearings. It is supposed to have a dry, clean surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.