MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i searched the posts here and read where taking the rear axles out and rolling the car with out them will damage the bearings.

so how can you move the body without damaging the bearings ?

only remove half of the axle from each side and leave the outer section still in the hub ?

thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
IIRC Toyota suggests the use of a solid bar in place of the two axles if the car is to be moved a good distance. I have towed a couple of my cars for 10-12 miles with no axles. I didn't notice any ill effects on the bearings.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If you are concerned about bearing damage, you could invest in those dollys that you place under the tires.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have a set of axles I hacked up. I place the stub of it in and cinch on the washer and 30mm nut. Toyota sold a SST for this purpose from what I hear. Don't hack the axle off too long though or it can fly and hit the strut tube!

You can also do something like this:

This is an alternative is useful with no wheels as well :)

Edit: you guys added stuff fast. for a few hundred feet, it's not going to kill it. However, I did note extra play in the bearing when I moved mine back and forth into and out of the garage without using the stub axles. It seemed to tighten up again once I torqued on the nut with the regular axle replaced.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dollys are cool but i will be moving the body outside on grass not concrete. do you have a link to the dollys you referring to ?

thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
Since the axle nut and axle keeps the bearing tight by putting a preload on it, I don't see why one couldn't use a bolt, nut and washer setup to mock the function of the axle if it is not there, just make sure it damages nothing such as the seal or hub.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
fogjammer said:
Since the axle nut and axle keeps the bearing tight by putting a preload on it, I don't see why one couldn't use a bolt, nut and washer setup to mock the function of the axle if it is not there, just make sure it damages nothing such as the seal or hub.
That's exactly what Toyota's SST for that purpose is - a bolt and nut with washers the correct size to compress the seals and bearings.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
I have a set of axles I hacked up. I place the stub of it in and cinch on the washer and 30mm nut. Toyota sold a SST for this purpose from what I hear. Don't hack the axle off too long though or it can fly and hit the strut tube!
That's why you just just remove the axle from the outer CV end stub thing. :)
I've got a pair of these just for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Yeah - like "Why do you have 4 engine blocks sitting in the corner and all those heads and intake manifolds on the shelf . . .??".

·
Registered
881 Posts
hehe .... 4AGE's are so good that it takes a while for me to use them up.
And, I can't stand to see them head off to the crusher. Maybe I need therapy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
ITA-MR2 said:
Yeah - like "Why do you have 4 engine blocks sitting in the corner and all those heads and intake manifolds on the shelf . . .??".
I thought those were gifts to your friendly visitors :)

Can I swing by again? You can say hi to the car again? :angel:

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Heh - I also found the two "lost" exhaust systems I was looking for when you were here.

Packing to move can be an enlightening experience!

The back yard is starting to look scary. The MkII is over next door getting painted, the black car is gone, and the motorhome is in the shop getting a new windshield. Only thing back there now is the S/C and the two trailers.

But I DID get the property rezoned, so I can keep up to FOUR non-running vehicles outside - they just have to be behind the garage, where they can't be seen from the street.

P.S.: Don't ever break the windshield in a motorhome. The driver's half in the Monaco (got attacked by a rock on the way to Tulsa last summer) was $1300, installed. With $1000 deductible comprehensive, it's not worth the trouble to report it on insurance.

Anybody want to buy a really nice house in a not-so-great (not bad) neighborhood. 1900 s/f, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, totally remodeled ~2 years ago (cost $70K) with corian countertops, new low-E glass, maintenance-free exterior, etc; on .9 acres with the back half fenced (7' chain link) and a remote-operated power gate. Includes a 2400 s/f shop building. House is now zoned "office" and shop is zoned "office / warehouse".
Cheap - $225,000.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
86AW11 said:
Norm, Thats a good price on your house. Around here $225k will get you 1700 Sq ft and a small yard.
In my neighborhood, it would probably bring in the $160K range if it were not zoned for office / warehouse. Sadly, because we spent so much on the remodel, we have overbuilt the neighborhood. We planned to stay here for another 5 - 10 years, but stuff happens. Since we planned on staying, we spent probably $40K that we wouldn't have otherwise. As it is, we upgraded EVERYTHING in the house - marble master bath, dark cherry cabinets with ivory Corian tops, new laminate flooring in my office, a bunch of electrical upgrades, new windows (every one of them) and storm doors; plus siding, leveling, french drains in the yard and foundation perimeter; added an RV dump station, etc.

If I could move it about 5 miles in either of 2 directions, it would bring $250K in a heartbeat - as is and zoned residential. Since decent office property sells for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 s/f, and warehouse is about $50, I'm hoping that will save me. If I could get that, and I won't, it would bring about $450K.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Sorry, but you're not in my climate. I melt over 85?F. My second home is an igloo.

Your place has a nice setup with a large shop. You'd be the envy of a lot of people if you had a few acres up in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

Well, if you lived in a semi-rural area of WI, I'd probably try to buy it from you... art studio in half, garage in the other half and a home separate is my perfect arrangement. ...someday.

I'll make it by with the exhaust for this next year I believe. It has to pass emmissions in spring; it should since it's not rusted through and has always passed before (and it has a new O2 sensor & cat now anyway). Then, if my girfriend applies for collector or hobbyist plates in 2007, it might have to undergo one last test. As a collector/hobbyist it's exempt forever from registration fees and emissions testing. That's one reason for the planned SC swap in about a year. Then I'll be upsizing the pipes a bit anyhow. ;)

Best of luck selling your place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts