MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idle is at 1050 when at a stop with all accessories off and with the brake applied. So I have new ignition components (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) with only 300 or so miles on them. My ignition timing is at 10 btdc. My vaccuum, according to my boost gauge, is around 600 mmHg. I have checked the resistance of the isc valve and it checks out. I pulled off the plug for it and it goes up to 1500 and then it *used* to go down to 500 ish and then idle at around 7-800 then go back to 1050. Now when I pull the plug off the isc it goes up to 1500 then to 1000. I tried taking off the whole isc but couldn't get the four bolts off. Is this evident of the isc bad or something else?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If that's the case, your ISC is working, or at least doing something. 1800 is a bit high for cold start, so it's idling consistently higher than normal. Since you're pulling a strong vacuum, you may just need to adjust the idle speed on the throttle body. Before you do that though, make sure your throttle body is closing completely and not getting hung up by the cable being too tight or oily grime building up on the TB butterfly. If you want to get the ISC valve off and the screws are frozen, the screws are very easy to drill the heads off of. You can then clean it thoroughly and test it a bit more.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i pulled off the throttle body and the butterfly plate seems to be closed all the way, no gaps. the plate is clean as well and i've adjusted the idle screw on top of the tb already.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You may want to test your coolant temp sensor per the BGB. I believe it feeds the ECU a control signal for the idle speed.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the clip for it is on the underside of the plug right? i couldn't really get it off since i was in my pre-flu moment so i lacked the effort and dexterity to take it off. any tips to pulling it off before i attempt it again?

oh and thanks cacasesi for helping out. i really appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts