MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Quite a comprehensive build, lots of pics of the process - I dig it.
As far as the brake lines and that bracket. I MAY have cut my bracket with a dremel with the line in it. The metal nut provides some safety, just take it slow and it's not that bad. Or maybe I didnt, I forget now. But I def cut those things because it sucks having to bleed the lines because you did suspension work

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Now THAT is an awesome post, Im always excited, and jealous, to see people clean up their engine bay.
What color are you going with (maybe I missed/forgot from earlier)?
Yeah, do think about a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, just take your time and you wont nick the brake line. Then I use some zipties to keep it 'secure' in the little groove .

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Not entirely sure on the color yet. Originally I thought black, but I also like the idea of using a lighter color to better identify any fluid leaks and have a contrasting background. Maybe some sort of gray.
Good idea on being able to see fluid leaks, that said, hopefully that wouldnt happen anyway.
The positive with a flat or matte black would be that any shiny bits, or colored parts, would be highlighted against the dark background of the engine bay

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Engine bay painting continued...

After more degreasing, making sure everything was scuffed and taped, I sprayed down a couple coats of Rustoleum filler primer. Once it cured, I sanded it down with #320. In hindsight, I should have spent more time on this step, laid down another coat of primer, and re-sanded EVERYTHING completely smooth. After letting my first few coats of paint cure, it was obvious that there were a number of rough/loose patches of primer left underneath, and at minimum all areas had some texture to it. I ended up having to spend a few days wet sanding the first coat of paint smooth again.

If you haven't already guessed, I have very little experience with painting and bodywork.

Much to my relief, the next few coats of paint went down smooth. Not completely perfect, but I would say it turned out ~80% of my expectations; which will have to be acceptable because I am never doing this again. Yes, I know canned spray paint will never yield the same results as a professional or even Harbor Freight paint gun.

I used Seymour EN-43 Hi-Tech Engine Spray Paint, in Ford Gray. I chose this enamel because it was heat resistant but supposedly does not contain the same ceramic as other paints which require baking to achieve a good finish. Also "disappointed" reviewers stated that it was not as glossy as they were expecting, which is exactly what I wanted. There are very few color options outside of black in "satin" finish. I initially wanted a darker gray, but again with off-the-shelf spray paints the options are limited. Overall I think I am happy with the color, it's similar to a "battleship gray." The car will also be sprayed a different color in the future, so no offense taken if you think it clashes with the red.

Dude, that color is great! Well done my man!

I think the MR2 produces quite a bit of heat in its poorly ventilated engine space. Using Black in my opinion would further compound the problem
Do you think that the black cars (factory) run hotter than other colors? At speed I dont think it'll matter. Actually, I dont think it'll matter much period. But Im happy to be proven wrong and learn something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts