MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help in identifying some engine components?
1. What is the metal canister that is located under the intake runners, about midway between the first and last runner. It looks as if a hose can be fitted over a nipple on the canister (but there is no hose on mine)?

2. What is the purple/ mauve coloured canister, also located under the intake runners, that has 2 nipples labelled "A" and "B"; "A" has a hose connected that leads to an electrical component (that I also do not know the function of)?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
1. That is your TVIS valve. It is used to operate the TVIS system. There are butterfly valves sandwiched between the intake manifold and the head. There are two intake runners per cylinder and there is a butterfly valve on one of the runners per cylinder. At low RPM these are closed off to increase air velocity for better low end, and they open under higher revs for more air flow and power at the higher RPMs. If it is even operable (most of them spring leaks in the rubber diaphram inside the valve) it should be hooked up to the part you described in #2.

2. I beleive this part is your TVIS control valve thingy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a red colored canister under there that controls your boost levels too. If I am not mistaken, the A side should be reading vacuum from a vacuum from the engine and the B side goes to TVIS valve. If your TVIS actuator is busted, I have a write up on how to repair it for $6 that I can post later (considering a new one is $400 from toyota, it's a pretty good deal). In any case, it is stuck wide open for now since it not hooked up, and you'll see an increase in low end torque once it's hooked back up.

Here's the link http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume1/engine_mechanical.htm

It looks as if I left out the other VSV for the TVIS system that runs inline between the purple vacuum cansiter and the actuator, but that's the layout.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts