MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much diagnostic confusion dealing with a “crank, but no start“ condition.... I felt I had determined the fuel pump was bad.
So ...hours of very hard work later, I managed to drop the tank. Swapped in a new fuel pump after bench testing the new pump.
Decided to bench test the old pump.....you guessed it....it spinned. ...😖. WTF????
Needless to say, I am one depressed fella. To add insult to injury, I’m still waiting on a new tank seal and fuel filter. Dreading trying to reinstall the tank. Not to mention then still faced with figuring out what is actually going on.
Tell me again why I love this car......:unsure:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make a good point. I did get battery voltage at the connector when jumping at diagnostic port. What I did not yet do is make sure the short section of wiring from that connector to the pump bracket was OK....although it likely is. I’ll check continuity to be sure. I suppose some kind of intermittent electrical issue might explain my diagnostic problems. Course my oldtimers disease might be more likely the issue ! :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,181 Posts
... I’ll check continuity to be sure...
Continuity check is not reliable for a high power circuit like a motor. The meter is most likely not sensitive enough. A reliable test is to power up the circuit and test for voltage drops around it. Connect voltmeter common to the chassis or equivalent ground, and measure voltages at all points. Make sure that there are no fuel vapors left before you do this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
News Flash......IT LIVES AGAIN!!!
Figure I owe some follow up to folks who have had to bear with me (and tried to help!) as I stumbled my way along.

After the fight to remove the tank, I dreaded reinstall. Nonetheless, I replaced the suspect fuel pump, checked wiring, and sealed it up.
Thankfully a friend came over and helped out. We got the car a bit higher, then struggled for a few hours to get tank back up. It was good reason to dread it.....what a job!
Then all the virtually inaccessible connections......what fun.
I did replace the charcoal canister and the fuel filter as well.

There is a happy ending to this story.....
I actually waited until the next day to try to start the car.....frankly I was so exhausted that I knew I couldn’t deal with it not starting.
Next morning I added 5 gallons of high test......(no leaks!)....crossed fingers.....turned key.
Cranked, no start.....cranked, no start.... patience now, it needs to prime.....cranked, START !!!

HAPPY DAY! Ran right away like it had when parked so long back. Amazing.
Looks like it was the fuel pump after all. Guess it would spin, but not pump....(impeller bad?)
In any case......Thanks to all who have once again helped me out. This forum is great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats on getting it running! It's a great feeling!

I'm curious as to which charcoal can you went with, as I'm having a problem with mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!
Found one on fleabay that was almost like new! BGB a gives method to test canister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts