MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before the AM2 fuse blew, the car was perfectly fine. when replace with a new fuse and car turned to the ON position w/out turning the car on the ic fan would turn on but once i try to turn it over and start the car the ic fan will just shut off and the AM2 fuse blows and my car won't start. any idea what the AM2 might also control?

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
It would, cause it only controls the ignition switch. The part that switches the gate to engage the starter.

When you turn your car ON, the ignition switch is ON. Everything works. When you hit START the ign switch gate flips, and it starts drawing power from the AM2 circuit. That circuit provides the starter with an "open starter relay and start the car" signal.

Then when you get off the START back to ON, it tells the car to resume normal operating mode.

So, if AM2 is messed, it will just not engage the starter itself. Thats it.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i put in a 30amp fuse the AM2 does not blow but the car still won't start. i just double checked the starter connections, check in and around the wires in the engine bay and frunk for any melted wires and they all seem good. did some quick search on the board and it seems like a lot of people the problem but does not really post what really cause it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I had this problem about a week ago... it turned out my cold start injector time switch and coolant temp sensor (ecu) where broken. it rained and and the water made a connection with the broken sensors tripping the fuse. its worth a check.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
It could be anything man. That side of the ignition switch goes to quite a few things.

it goes into the clutch start switch, the circuit opening relay, the ECU, the start injector time switch, the cold start injector, then it ends up connecting to the starter relay, Theft deterrent ECU if you have one, and the circuit grounds to the intake manifold.

You could have a fault anywhere in there. Check your clutch start switch. Its the button the clutch pedal pushes down on to engage the starter.

Do you have the book? Use the EWD and track it down.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of resistance somewhere, let me know if you need some help. Check your starter leads? Loose connections off the battery? You have a turbo timer thats tapped into ignition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
alright i guess this is going to be a long weekend! thanks for all the reply's i'll see if i this get resolve over the weekend.
I know this is years later but has there been a confirmed for this? I am going through the same issue except mine is intermittent. I took it to a shop (first mistake) to get a clutch, flywheel, etc. put in. I get it back and sometimes it'll start and sometimes not. I've gone through battery, battery terminals, starter relay, cleaning both sides of every engine to body ground, starter motor, and ignition switch. Every time I hit the key, I blow the AM2 fuse. I've gone under the car and have had three other sets of eyes look to verify no wires have been kinked/ wedged in-between the transmission and motor. Anything at this point will be helpful. I will also be making my own thread about this since I can never find a finished thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts