MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned this about aluminum the hardway. I purchased my Shelby Charger GLHS new in 1987. I replaced a lot of the bolts with aluminum and Ti. I moved to Suffolk england. My home was 300 yards from the Northsea. within 6 months stuff was falling off the damn car. Stuff that held on great when I was living in Phoenix
Totally correct. The US Navy shreds aluminum soda cans into medium sized pieces and send it over the side. I saw that on a documentary about a new aircraft carrier and was stunned, because initially, like some of the other posters, I was under the impression that most aluminum in use was both more resilient to oxidization and degradation as well as usually coated for further purposes of additional longevity, but apparently aluminum is generally just used for its weight-saving qualities when not in an abnormally high heat, high pressure, high stress environment. I know there’s several important characteristics of metals; mainly its direct strength, its torsional strength (opposite of brittleness), its weight, and its corrosion resistance. Workability of the metal is also a factor, with regards to its melting temperature and certain metals and alloys ease of workability into shapes (casting, forging, CNC, etc), as well as the special tooling required to work on some of the harder or more brittle the metal. I don’t know much, but Titanium is the king ****, right? Most metals have a trade off with regards to strength versus weight, but I always had the impression that titanium is best material to use if cost is no object. There may be some alloy that had even better qualities but it seems like titanium is the best material found in any reasonable quantities

21 - 22 of 22 Posts