MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Oh yea… looks very nice!

Did you benchmark stiffness vs OE spindle? I’ve been shocked of how good readily available photo scanning to 3D modeling has gotten in the past 4-5 years if you don’t have a good OE spindle model.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have not, but the stress looks good (for fatigue) at the estimated loading for 1.75g, so there should be pretty good stiffness there. I have been tempted by some of the cheaper 3D scanners recently, might be something I need to look into further...
Check this out, seemed very easy and I checked the model and it was within .010” to my measurements on another upright after rescaling based on a known dimensions.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yikes, I didn't realize the radius on the stock front hubs was that bad. That's like max Kt, minimum life design for the mass. lol

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
3D printed metal is not cost effective versus relatively simple subtractive machining on 6061 aluminum. Yes, the cost per lb or kg of powder is fairly low, but it has its own set of design challenges and the machine print time plus cleaning is very pricey. Additive manufacturing by definition contains many small flaws at best, so you have to account for that with lower stress states to get the same damage tolerance life.

Besides, 3D printed aluminum and titanium are kinda garbage for mechanical properties. It works much much better for very tough materials like Inconels or overaged PH stainless steels, even then, the subtractively manufactured parts still tend to come out lighter for the same life span.

(the above is from direct experience with it in some of the highest performing/largest metallic additively manufactured parts currently made)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts