MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Mr2 Automatic 2.2L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving the car to work one morning an the battery light came on while driving it then started to slow down and seem to get weaker the further I drove. Stopped the car to check it out and I smelt rubber burning, checked the belt and it looked fine. Tried to start it back up and then nothing. I am assuming its the alternator at this point , I just need to know what I need to get 70, 80 or 100Amp? most of the information on the alternator is rubbed off. I just don't want to put the wrong one on it and mess it up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
What is the VIN number for your car? Input it here ToyoDIY.com then go to diagram 19-03 here and it should tell you what one came on your car. ToyoDIY.com

Or if it doesn't we can still figure it out by looking at the year and if it had power steering or not. Be careful as the bracket for a big alternator and a small one are different so you need to get the right one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Be prepare to drop the subframe to replace the ALT. I remember when I had an NA, I was able to remove the bracket and take out the ALT from the top. It was possible maybe cuz the previous owner didn’t bolt in the bolt behind the axel.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Mr2 Automatic 2.2L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be prepare to drop the subframe to replace the ALT. I remember when I had an NA, I was able to remove the bracket and take out the ALT from the top. It was possible maybe cuz the previous owner didn’t bolt in the bolt behind the axel.
What is the VIN number for your car? Input it here ToyoDIY.com then go to diagram 19-03 here and it should tell you what one came on your car. ToyoDIY.com

Or if it doesn't we can still figure it out by looking at the year and if it had power steering or not. Be careful as the bracket for a big alternator and a small one are different so you need to get the right one.
I was able to take the alternator out from the top, ordered the new one which mine has P/S which means it’s a 100amp. I’m going to replace it this weekend. Thanks the sight helped out allot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts