MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
First of all, I wanted to say that this site is very informative. I?ve been getting most of my information here, from changing brakes, removing struts, to replacing valve cover gaskets. I?ve been a member for quite sometimes now, and I haven?t posted anything yet because I use the ?search? button more frequently-> than posting and not doing the research? but recently, I?ve come to a problem.
I was driving home from work late Saturday night, when all of a sudden my alternator belt snapped and both the battery/oil lamp went on. I did the alternator removal research from MR2oc,?and found a lot of info on how to take out the alternator, but more often, the steps on removing the alternator bracket was left out? I?ve a 91 MR2 Turbo, with obviously a heavy 100amp alternator, and I can?t squeeze it out the top without removing the bracket?as for the bottom, it won?t drop until I remove the exhaust. Any advice will be great, pictures or steps will also be great.
Oh, I was able to get most bolts/nuts off the bracket, except for the one by the CV joint. I get a lot of mixed information about not having to remove the bolt next to the CV and having to remove it?so can you guys tell me which is it? I got the bolt (cv area) loosened, but its now pressed against the CV joint because of its length sticking out. I?ve been at it since Sunday. Any help will be great?then maybe I could take pictures for future MR2oc Bracket Removal references. Thanks!

I used this image for bolts/nuts references. Green Arrows=got them out
Red Arrow=still working on

alternator still intact.

alternator detached. and you could see the obstructing alt. bracket.

here's a hard picture to see, but it's the last bolt next to the CV Joint...it's pressing against the CV Joint...otherwise if I had room, I'd take it out.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I said previously, I don't see how you can get that bolt out without moving the CV joint.

WHY do you want the bracket out? With the bracket left on, many of us are able to get it out the top (see previous posts), And, if you decide to go out the bottom, you still don't need to remove the bracket.

HTH

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
The 100amp unit is probably not going to just come out the top or the bottom. Your best bet is to loosen the bolts that hold the rear crossmember to the engine and chassis and drop it down enough to slide the alternator out through the bottom.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tab a said:
As I said previously, I don't see how you can get that bolt out without moving the CV joint.

WHY do you want the bracket out? With the bracket left on, many of us are able to get it out the top (see previous posts), And, if you decide to go out the bottom, you still don't need to remove the bracket.

HTH
Honestly, i don't want to take out the bracket. The less hassle the quicker the work...unfortunately, I tried all sorts of ways in positioning the alternator out from the top, but of course, the bracket was in the way. I'm sure you had a 100amp alternator too, but how you managed to get yours out and mine not, I just can't see the connection. :dontknow:
About removing it from the bottom, ..yeah, I figured I wouldn't need to remove the bracket (common sense, though I re-read old threads to make sure too) ..but removing the midpipe would be the problem. wish it were easier to replace'm alternators. Thanks for the info, though! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RickyB said:
The 100amp unit is probably not going to just come out the top or the bottom. Your best bet is to loosen the bolts that hold the rear crossmember to the engine and chassis and drop it down enough to slide the alternator out through the bottom.
Yeah, I've been trying both directions..and very recent, I just decided to trim off that last bolt with a hacksaw (near the CV joint). I guess I'll give it one last shot from the top, just gotta take out that last 3-bolt brace holding one side of the bracket (since it's starting to wiggle). Just gotta find that 14mm socket, kinda lost it in the process of cranking it. And yeah, if it still doesn't work, I'll have to loosen that rear crossmember. Last thing on my mind is taking it back to the shop, especially after taking so much out...I feel that I might as well finish the job. Thanks for the optional comment! I really revere your posts, though I must admit...the vast intelligent information you provide do get me confused at times. :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've done this twice now.... the most rational way to do it (IMHO) is to:
  • undo the bolts attaching the B-pipe to the muffler section, and to the downpipe
  • remove the triangle thingy from the top of the rear crossmember
  • push the B-pipe toward the driver's side as far as you can manuever it (don't remove it, just move it out of the way)
  • Loosen or remove the bolts holding the crossmember to the motor mount. Loosen (don't remove) the four bolts holding the crossmember to the chassis enough so you can squeeze the alternator out the bottom.
  • stare at the triangle piece for a while and try to figure out why it's there in the first place

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i noticed that triangle thinggy back in september and removed it (yeah, what the heck is it? a counter balance piece for the rear? who knows?), but this time around, i've managed to loosen the bracket, but not completely get it out. So, the crossmember is my next option. Thanks for the info...I really needed these kind of walk-thrus. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I couldn't get the crossmember dropped on mine, but with the flex pipe moved over to the drivers side (disconnected from both ends, just hanging there) I could pull the alternator out a dented area (oval shaped cut out) in the rear cross member. my bolts were frozen, and they felt kinda spongy when i torqued them enough to get them to move, so they were just gonna break if i kept at it. once I had the flex pipe pushed over it almost fell out on it's own though, there's more than enough room down there without taking the bracket or the rear cross member off. atleast on my 91T there was.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My alt. SHOULD be the 100A but I've no idea whether it actually is or not.

I spent maybe 20 minutes trying to pull my alt. out the top, --dropping it several times--and finally gave up. Came in, searched archives, found at least several others who said it could be done. Tried again, and it popped out in just a couple of minutes. It DOES need to be angled, and then re-oriented, precisely, as I've described. And, you will probably need to force/scrape it just a bit, but it SHOULD work.

No guarantees, though. :smile:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I just got done doing one of these on my 91 Turbo....

The exhaust way is probably the easiest. This is what I ended up doing:

- Removed the muffler completely to allow the midpipe to move more freely
- Unbolted mid pipe and pushed it as far to the driver's side as possible
- Unbolted the triangle anti-alternator removal widget from the crossmember
- Unbolted the engine-mount-looking exhaust hanger from the crossmember

At this point, the alternator can be taken out and put back in easily without scraping or forcing. You actually have to be careful it doesn't just fall out of tha car. Be sure to take it out from the front-side of the crossmember, not the rear, because the sway bar is in the way to the rear.

Most of the time this takes is in figuring out that the first few logical steps aren't feasible (aka just removing the alternator bracket, etc.) The muffler takes 6 bolts, the mid-pipe another 3, and two each for the triangle and the hanger, and they're all readily accessible, so it's not really a daunting task as long as you start off knowing how it will work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks drapdv! I've taken all you advices in consideration, however, i've been quite busy lately, hence the long stall. But yeah, removing from the back is also logical. as for the vibration damper...that thing's pretty heavy itself...has anyone else ever decided not to put it back on? I haven't.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I admit it. It's been a week and three days since I've been struck with the alternator problem. Yeah, it took me a little longer than most of you guys, since I really didn't touch the car since last wednesday. Today, however, I was feeling the call to finish the task. So, "Thanks Everyone!!"...the advices helped immensively, and I finally got the alternator out from the bottom by removing the exhaust flex pipe towards the driver side. the alternator dropped like a rock. All I need now is taking it to the shop for a diagnostic. Should I as well replace the A/C belt? Didn't look like it was cracking...but if i'm removing it to install the ALt belt, a 15yr old belt could also benefit from a replacement right?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I pulled mine off without removing any of that stuff. it was tight but not difficult. I could fit my snapon wrenches in there no problem,. Now I want the actual bracket removed but I'll do that when I replace my broken halfshaft onthat side. My bracket will be polished and powdercoated :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.