MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Alternate Rear ABS Sensors

9804 Views 34 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Alex W
I think I have identified a modern / readily available replacement for the rear ABS sensors.

2006-2011 Camry / Avalon front wheel speed sensors are basically the same design as the stock MR2 rear sensors, and with a little work fit the stock knuckle.

The diameter of the sensor is a little bit greater than the stock sensor, and the length is a little longer. However the length from the ridge by the flange on the new sensor to the tip is perfect. If you drill out the stock knuckle with an 11/16" drill bit the sensor fits and bottoms out on that ridge. The spacing to the bolt hole is slightly different, but close enough that a bolt will thread in. Shim it with a few washers or get fancy and make a spacer if you want.

The electrical connector is different, so you will need to splice on the old connector. You may be able to buy the correct pins for the old housing from someplace like Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics and crimp them on and install them into the stock connector if you really wanted to get fancy. The wires on the new sensor are a few inches longer than on the old.

Of course the various brackets and clips along the wire are different, but those can be swapped over from the old sensor.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that it is electrically compatible with the stock ABS computer (I don't have ABS on my car to test with), but I think the odds are good. It LOOKS like the same style sensor, and the resistance of the new sensor is within the range specified in the BGB (.9 - 1.5 k ohm). For what it's worth my stock sensor measures about 1k ohm, and the new one measures about 1.5k ohm.

Best part is, you can get these all day long on Rock Auto for reasonable prices. Stock sensors are either unobtainable, or very expensive.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
These are cheap enough, and I need rear sensors I’m going to try it out. I’ll report back what I find out.
Reactions: 2
I can confirm they work!
I need rear ones replaced too, where did you order and what mods did you end up doing to alternate part? Thanks!
I need rear ones replaced too, where did you order and what mods did you end up doing to alternate part? Thanks!
I ordered them from rockauto. I ended up sanding the sensor down instead of drilling out the knuckle as posted in the original post. For now, since the original rear sensors were cut off and I didn’t have the original connector, I hard wired them in, but these are the original connectors.
US $1.90 15% Off | 1/5/10/20 set KET 2 pin male female electric wire connector ABS sensor plug for KIA Hyundai MG651092-5 7282-7029-40 7283-7029-40
Reactions: 1
I ordered them from rockauto. I ended up sanding the sensor down instead of drilling out the knuckle as posted in the original post. For now, since the original rear sensors were cut off and I didn’t have the original connector, I hard wired them in, but these are the original connectors.
US $1.90 15% Off | 1/5/10/20 set KET 2 pin male female electric wire connector ABS sensor plug for KIA Hyundai MG651092-5 7282-7029-40 7283-7029-40
Did you have to reset the abs computer to get rid of the light? I just ordered 2 from Rockauto (1 camry and 1 Avalon- glad these are so inexpensive enough to try both) and would like to try and tackle this before it gets cold.
Did you have to reset the abs computer to get rid of the light? I just ordered 2 from Rockauto (1 camry and 1 Avalon- glad these are so inexpensive enough to try both) and would like to try and tackle this before it gets cold.
No reset is needed. The abs sensor codes are continuous monitoring and once the circuit is complete the light goes out.
Reactions: 1
@Smwoodard: Hi mate, just want to know what the oem number for the camry ABS sensor. I have a faulty rear abs sensor and need some advice. Did you get rear ABS sensor from Camry or it doesn't matter even the front one is use?

Thanks
A
Front Camry sensors, for the rear of the MR2. Remember that the MR2 is basically front wheel drive in the back.
Front Camry sensors, for the rear of the MR2. Remember that the MR2 is basically front wheel drive in the back.

Thanks mate.. Just ordered one.

KR,
Abdel
Tried this on my 1997 UK spec - seems to work to pass the check to turn off the light on startup but when driving unfortunately returns fault code - rear right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction.

Going to have a play with the spacing and see if that fixes it will report back
Tried this on my 1997 UK spec - seems to work to pass the check to turn off the light on startup but when driving unfortunately returns fault code - rear right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction.

Going to have a play with the spacing and see if that fixes it will report back
Double check the sensor polarity. I had issues after installing my new front knuckles and switching to Camry bearings with built in sensors... Turned out I just had the sensors wired backwards.
So I picked up a set of 1993 corolla front abs sensors. The resistance is right, the connector is right, the diameter is right. The distance from the 'barrel' centerline to the mounting hole centerline is off by 1mm, which can be resolved. Does anyone know how long the sw20 sensor 'barrel' is?
Tried this on my 1997 UK spec - seems to work to pass the check to turn off the light on startup but when driving unfortunately returns fault code - rear right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction. Going to have a play with the spacing and see if that fixes it will report back
Did you get this working?
So I picked up a set of 1993 corolla front abs sensors. The resistance is right, the connector is right, the diameter is right. The distance from the 'barrel' centerline to the mounting hole centerline is off by 1mm, which can be resolved. Does anyone know how long the sw20 sensor 'barrel' is?
I can try to get this measurement for you. Ping me if I forget...
21 - 35 of 35 Posts