MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
They really aren't that bad, you just have to get used to them. Once you've grown accustomed to them, it's real simple to use. The only thing I would have concern with is whether or not the sensitivity will fade over time. I had the CDA-9853 but I exchanged it for the Pioneer P80 and I am VERY happy with it. My alpine was starting to make grinding noises when it would open/close or anything with the face moving. Not to mention, that was the second 9853 I had, since the motor for the faceplate died in the first unit I had, leaving it permanently shut! Couldn't even get my cd out.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have heard about that before as well....how do you feel about teh P80 Pioneer...because that is my other option...let me know man thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
*I apologize in advance for this being so long, I only intended to mention 1 or 2 things, but ended up writing more or less of a review. Hope it helps!

The P80? I love it! At first I had to get used to a couple things, though they are pretty minor when compared to other decks.

Pros: (there are many more than this, but for sake of keeping this from becoming a novel, I decided to pick just a few of my favorite aspects of this player)

- At first, it was a little difficult to navigate using the "7-Way Rotary Commander" (aka center knob-thingy) but after while it becomes second nature and you can navigate through all of the menus and settings with great speed. I love it, rather than having 65431684 separate buttons for everything, you control 90% of the functions through the dial.

- Menus are much better set up than the Alpine 9853 and the models below it, that still have glidetouch. You pretty much have to memorize the owners manual for the Alpine, while the Pioneer's functions were mastered just by playing with it for a couple of minutes.

- Audio adjustments are abundant with this unit. There are so many things that you can tweak, to give the sound that you prefer.

- Durable. I've had this player for about 6 months now and there are none of the noises/grinding sounds that were associated with the alpine unit.

- With three pairs of 4 volt RCA pre-outs, you will get superb sound quality from this deck.

Cons:
- At night, when you have a certain graphic/visual effecst playing, after a few seconds it will invert (everything blue turns black, everything black turns blue) so it's almost like a flash of light, and took a little getting used to. But I keep it on the clock mode all the time, and it either doesn't invert, or the change isn't as drastic.

- The face has such a glossy smooth finish, that it easily creates a glare from daytime lighting. Sometimes I have to use my hand as a sort of "visor" over the display, just so I can read it.

Overall
This is a really good, solid player with tons of options and features that let's the user adjust the audio settings to their preference. Extremely easy to use, the P80 is a breeze to operate/navigate through menus, without having to take your eyes off the road thanks to the central dial. The cons of this player are more of an annoyance, than an actual problem. All in all, I am extremely happy with this player to the point of almost being spoiled! Anything less equivalent feels archaic and tedious to operate. I would definatley recommend this player for anyone looking for a kickass head unit, without breaking the bank for an in-dash player. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually just bought it friday, so i have to wait for it to get here. i cant wait now, i have heard that the controls take a few minutes to get used to but what new cd player doesnt?...thanks a lot for the review, i am glad to hear that you like it a lot. i almost went alpine but i have heard from quite a few reviews that they have trouble with like getting stuck and not opening so i wanted nothing to do with that problem. thanks again though man.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You can turn off the reverse image on the pioneer unit. Go through the same process you used to set the clock.

I picked up a 680MP a month or two ago, and while cheaper, it's still a pioneer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
that head unit is amazing my freind has it in his evo and i gotta say the stuff it has on it is great it got a lot of features that they dont say on the web its really sick shyt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts