MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in my 93 N/A.

I was on my way home from school and I see the "check engine" and battery light come on and 2 seconds later my DIES on the interstate! Man i thought i almost died! I caused a traffic jam.

Anyone have any suggestions why it would do this? YES, i have gas in the car.

I have

The battery is still good.
New plugs
New wires
New cap & rotor
ignitor (changed about 2 years ago.)

I havent check to see if the car has any spark yet. Im waiting for a buddy to come over. I just dont get why the car would just die on me.

Any info would help.
Thanks

David Nguyen

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
91TurboNguyen said:

I was on my way home from school and I see the "check engine" and battery light come on and 2 seconds later my DIES on the interstate! Man i thought i almost died!
Anyone have any suggestions why it would do this? YES, i have gas in the car.

I
David Nguyen
David-

1) How do you think anyone on the board can know what's wrong with your car?

2) But the ECU's diagnostic routine will tell you why the CEL came on.

bill

·
Registered
584 Posts
might be the alternator. what's the voltage of your battery? if it's nearly empty, that means your car isn't charging it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
even if it was the alternator, there would be more than 2 seconds between the time the lights came on, and the time it took for the car to die. (at least it did when mine died)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Yup, might be...Or maybe its one of about 100 other things.

Not really trying to be difficult here guys, but given no more info than he provided, its nothing but a guessing game.

A little basic troubleshooting will help us help him. And a good place to start is the use the diagnostic procedure to see why teh CEL came on.

bill

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Kratos said:
even if it was the alternator, there would be more than 2 seconds between the time the lights came on, and the time it took for the car to die. (at least it did when mine died)
Thats true but maybe David didnt notice that his car was not charging for about an hour or so and the battery finally gave up and right before that the check engine light pops up.

But we wont know anything thing due to limited information. Just like what bill said do an ECU diagnostic check to see what code it threw out?

PS... David were you able to start the car up again after it died or did you had to tow it home?

·
Registered
409 Posts
DR3AMR2 ... the battery and oil light come on the instant the charging system stops charging. Well, if working properly it will.

I have to agree with you and bill though, without some kind of CEL code there's not much one can do from just hearing about a problem.

·
Registered
972 Posts
91TurboNguyen said:
This is in my 93 N/A.

I was on my way home from school and I see the "check engine" and battery light come on and 2 seconds later my DIES on the interstate! Man i thought i almost died! I caused a traffic jam.

David Nguyen
hope u can get it fixed soon....ur still going to the meet right?

·
Registered
223 Posts
kinda unrelated, but a few years back my '92 toyota levin (20v :) quit on me in town. It just died... very very quickly.

I had oxidisation under the battery terminals. Very very very crappy feeling when your car dies infront of everyone.

-nathan

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I initially thought it was the alternator but after I stopped and took a look it turned out I threw a belt that had been loose.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i had an experience with my old 2 where the starter wasnt bolted down properly and it managed to hit something metal, i forget what, and shorted out my entire car! the tach gauge, rpm, boost all went crazy and shut off.

i donno if proper grounded would have anythign to do with this...but one thing IS for sure

CHECK YOUR ENGINE CODES!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
billwot said:
David-

1) How do you think anyone on the board can know what's wrong with your car?

2) But the ECU's diagnostic routine will tell you why the CEL came on.

bill
Yeah i just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I dont have a computer at home and I didnt have my BGB at the time.

Ok so now i got my BGB

I have no spark & the code 42, Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal.
DR3AMR2 said:
Thats true but maybe David didnt notice that his car was not charging for about an hour or so and the battery finally gave up and right before that the check engine light pops up.

But we wont know anything thing due to limited information. Just like what bill said do an ECU diagnostic check to see what code it threw out?

PS... David were you able to start the car up again after it died or did you had to tow it home?
I had a friend tow it home.

·
Registered
526 Posts
when my car died because of the alternator, the check engine light and oil light was on for awhile before it finally died.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts